308 Accubonds long range

TYoung

Does anyone have experience with the 168gr accubond long-range in their 308? (Accurate load, proper expansion and penitration) Im running low on my current work up and have a couple youth cow elk hunts hunts and the wife's December whitetail hunt. We use a factory Bergera HMR with 20" barrel suppressed. The kids are shooting out to 200-250 yrds and the wife is shooting out to 400 yrds.

We currently shoot 150 SGK in it with imr 4064, but can't find anymore bullets so I bought a box of 168gr ABLR and figured I'd try them. I have varget and 4064 powders on hand. Any starting recipes would be much appreciated. Thanks

If the rifles will shoot them accurately they will work great out of a short barreled 308. We've killed 4 mule deer and 4 elk with them. 168 grain out of a 280 AI at 2960 fps and 190 ABLR out of the 300 win mag. Again around 2920 fps. Everything has passed thru with a great tomato soup bisque wound channel. One muley was shot at 150 yds through the big elbow joint, brisket and out the other humerus bone. I figured it was gonna be bloodshot from the ears to the tail but to my surprise, minimal loss. About 4 lbs of stew meat. Out to 530 yds they have performed flawlessly, one shot kills. I feel at 308 speeds you can't go wrong. The toughest part is getting them to shoot. Don't chase the lands they like some jump. Weigh and sort. I bought Nosler seconds so maybe that's why they were up to .4 grains off in weight. For the load data I'd go with 42-43 grains and start 0.10 off.

Last edited:
Not the 168, but I tried the 190gr in my 308 and could not get consistent results. Ogive measurements were all over the place. Like stated, if they will shoot for you, they could be a great option for 308 Win. I bought the 190 as Nosler advertised a 1300 FPS function. That makes for some good range with a 308, but no joy.

168gr anything+Varget=Dead Meat Sausage