Long range hunting help

These were loaded with 75-76 gr H1000 with 215 Berger. Don't laugh but I used the poor man torch with a drill and socket. I did it in the dark, so I could watch the color of the brass as I heated it. Maybe I got lucky with that batch, but ADG shad earned my business for calibers they make/I own.
Too get 16 firings of a brass you really took are of it.What do you Anneal with?
I'm undecided in what to buy to anneal with
.Thanks

Both the 300 Weatherby and the 300 rum need a longer than normal magazine box to realize their potential with heavy bullets. I would be certain to have the rifle built with a Wyatt's 4" magazine box with either case. I like the RUM over the Weatherby because of Brass availability, however if you shot 400 animals with the 300 Weatherby you might have a heck of a lot of brass lying around already. Norma and ADG both make 300 rum brass and I wouldn't hesitate to use either brand. Be careful going with the faster twist barrel. For 100 years a 1-10" twist barrel has been the standard for 30 caliber barrels and it still stabilizes everything but the most recent monolithic bullets. If you intend to only shoot monos go with the fast twist but if not I would not go faster than a 1-9 twist. You might ruin your ability to shoot anything else. A faster twist will increase pressure and could cause you to max out before you reach the velocity you are hoping for.

I have not used a Wyatt`s... Only a Accuracy International but I am definitley uising a Wyatt on this one . That is a great idea indeed Timnterra.
You are a 100% correct I have plenty of 300 Wby brass. My issue is that I have a Gibreath 300 Wby 1 in 12 old school Jewel, Bartlein, and McMillan stock.. Great with 165 but was never designed to shoot long range. That gun wqas built years ago before all the long range rage. Neither was the Blaser and the other Rum (I have at 1 in 10)
This stretching past my usual 600 yard limit is causing this opportunity to build one with a 1 in 9 or so to shoot those heavier bullets easier.
I have never shot the Bergers but a lot of my friends really use them all the time. Great advie indeed .. Many thanks

I'm 58 years old, live in tn. Hunted several countries and states.
Taken over 400 animals mostly with rem 700 300 weatherby.
Kevlar brown precision... shot barrel out ..Hart replaced .. made into 300 rum .. had good results with that too. Switched t o blaser .. but limited twist options means will not shoot heavy bullets well at long range.
Light bullets didn't work out well.. so now building another 30 caliber.
I'm not certain 1 in 9 or 1 in 8 300 weatherby or rum. My plan is to shoot 215 OR 230 Berger VLD. 25 to 26 inch barrel.
Brux or Benchmark with shortie break. Would like use lapua or norma brass. Most all my game have been shot 600 yards and in .
My real goal is to use new rifle out to 1000 yards. Definitely have Marco Polo on the list.
I most recently attended a long range §hooting school and learned alot. Thanks for any input at all. THANKS
Benchmark is my favorite! Weatherby or RUM, WONT LET YOU DOWN.

Great insight Shane .. I'm a Barnes guy... but just hard to change. Want make sure do everything possible to better myself. BERGER Vld is what you're running or hybrid?
I run h1000 I'm my rifles but really looking hard at n570
I use berger vld'. In a 7mm wsm and a 28 nosler, 338 lapua for target. On game they are not the equal of barnes but perform well if you avoid shots thwrough heavy bone. barnes in many calibers is my only hunting load

I'm 58 years old, live in tn. Hunted several countries and states.
Taken over 400 animals mostly with rem 700 300 weatherby.
Kevlar brown precision... shot barrel out ..Hart replaced .. made into 300 rum .. had good results with that too. Switched t o blaser .. but limited twist options means will not shoot heavy bullets well at long range.
Light bullets didn't work out well.. so now building another 30 caliber.
I'm not certain 1 in 9 or 1 in 8 300 weatherby or rum. My plan is to shoot 215 OR 230 Berger VLD. 25 to 26 inch barrel.
Brux or Benchmark with shortie break. Would like use lapua or norma brass. Most all my game have been shot 600 yards and in .
My real goal is to use new rifle out to 1000 yards. Definitely have Marco Polo on the list.
I most recently attended a long range §hooting school and learned alot. Thanks for any input at all. THANKS
Why not get a barrel in 300 Norma Magnum for your Blaser. It comes in 1-9 twist plenty enough to stabilize the heaviest 30 cal. bullets like 245gr. Berger Hybrid Hunter and everything lighter. Norma and Lapua brass available. Use Lapua if you go that route, Norma is soft. I personally have Blaser R8 in 300 Norma Mag semi weight barrel. You as a Blaser owner know what that means as a barrel contour and weight. It is absolute hammer and pleasant to shoot. Very accurate. The downside is that it is relatively heavy, and you have to thread the barrel if you want to install some sort of muzzle device because for some reason Blaser decided not to sell factory threaded barrels in USA except the heavy contour "Match" barrels. You will need an appropriate bolt head too if you don't have one already. There is plenty of room in the magazine, that you can sit the bullets close to the lands and even jam them if you wish.:)
You can practice extensively with the same gun if you already have a barrel in appropriate caliber for target shooting. If not buy one. To be able to practice with the same gun you gonna hunt with, will do more for your shooting success rate than anything else. That is the beauty of the Blaser system. I personaly will never go back to traditional rifles for hunting.
Good luck with your sheep hunt!

if it was me ...
defiance ultralite
300 ultra mag
dlc/nitride coated
brown precision kevlar stock
26" bartlein 9 twist #3
trigger tech special
hawkins orb metal
wyatts guts
new SRS TI 4 port mini brake
build it around the 215 /230 berger if this is the bullet then you dont need a 9 go with a 10tw
reason for the stock choice is you've had how many years of the same feeling and killing with one .. why change!!!!??

Last edited:
something like this but this one wears a Bad *** Borden! 😁 😁
20200624_164806.jpg
20200624_164810.jpg

Last edited:
Why not get a barrel in 300 Norma Magnum for your Blaser. It comes in 1-9 twist plenty enough to stabilize the heaviest 30 cal. bullets like 245gr. Berger Hybrid Hunter and everything lighter. Norma and Lapua brass available. Use Lapua if you go that route, Norma is soft. I personally have Blaser R8 in 300 Norma Mag semi weight barrel. You as a Blaser owner know what that means as a barrel contour and weight. It is absolute hammer and pleasant to shoot. Very accurate. The downside is that it is relatively heavy, and you have to thread the barrel if you want to install some sort of muzzle device because for some reason Blaser decided not to sell factory threaded barrels in USA except the heavy contour "Match" barrels. You will need an appropriate bolt head too if you don't have one already. There is plenty of room in the magazine, that you can sit the bullets close to the lands and even jam them if you wish.:)
You can practice extensively with the same gun if you already have a barrel in appropriate caliber for target shooting. If not buy one. To be able to practice with the same gun you gonna hunt with, will do more for your shooting success rate than anything else. That is the beauty of the Blaser system. I personaly will never go back to traditional rifles for hunting.
Good luck with your sheep hunt!
I may just do that in addition to the other build. I do not think that Blaser offers that caliber for R93 ?
Did hear that some differnt folks were building barrels for the Blasers. Thanks so much !

Elk Hunter 338, That is one beautiful build indeed!
Can you tell me roughly what yours weighs with or without the scope? I use a lot of Swarovski scopes and am using several nighforce NX8 currently too. Also if I may ask are you running N570 or annother powder? Thanks so much for your input.