HELP-Long Range Hunting setup

Impulsefishing

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum. I have read a lot from this forum and others in the past day concerning a new long range hunting rifle setup. I need help and advice so I figured I would just ask. Here is my situation. I currently own a Howa Axiom .308 used for deer hunting. Most of my shots are between 100-250yds. The .308 is perfect for this. However, I am looking for something that can do work at 400-900yds. All of the research I have done shows that a .308 is not as accurate past 400yds (more bullet drop than .300win) and drastically loses the "knockdown" power to ethically kill an animal. Therefore, I am uncomfortable at taking a shot past 300yds. I want something that I can feel comfortable going past that distance. Target animal is whitetail but I want something that can take down an elk at long range too in the event I ever get the chance to go elk hunting. So far it looks like the .300win is what I am going to go for but what platform? I have $2000 that I can drop now but I need everything. Rifle, scope, etc. So what are my options? I am eyeing the TC Dimension because of the price (more money for the scope) but realistically, can I find a setup at or under $2000? Also, I have no clue about reloading so I will be shooting factory ammo. Any help or advice would be great, thanks.

Remington Sendero (used prices can be under $1000 for a great rifle) or Savage 111 Long Range Hunter (great prices even new).

Zeiss 4.5-15x50 with target turrets, demo unit:
Zeiss - Camera Land NY

You still have $300-500 in your pocket to get into handloading or buy a LOT of ammo, as well as buy your bases and rings. Or, have a muzzle break installed as well.

I don't think you can beat the Sendero/Zeiss combo (mine is 7mm Rem) unless you want to go to 6.5-20 on the scope for $100 more for a demo unit with turrets. Zeiss - Camera Land NY

And, if you can figure out any difference between a demo and a new unit let me know, because owning a few myself I sure can't tell.

There are lots of options in that price range. New factory rifles...nice used rifles... and a few customs if you look hard. If your interested in a custom rifle give us a holler we will do our best to get you into something in your price range that will perform with anything out there.

If you choose to go factory the savages are very hard to beat for price and accuracy.

Hope that helps a little the 300 win is a great choice as would be the 7mm mag

JWH@406

Your 308 when loaded with the right ammo can easily kill whitetails at 800 yards and elk at 500.

But if what you want is a rifle that will kill elk at longrange, then you need to be looking at the magnums e.g. 7rem mag, 300win mag, 300RUM etc. An alternative to the Sendero (which is a good suggestion), you could go with a much less expensive Rem700 SPS. You can pick one up new for <$500, then change the stock for an inexpensive laminate ($100) and bed it ($100 if a gunsmith does it), install muzzle brake (~$150). This leaves you with $1300 for bases, rings and optic.

Rather than spend the entire $1300 on optics, consider leaving some cash in the budget for reloading gear. You can get started reloading for ~$500.

Although my nephew's rifle is not a magnum, it is a great example of what you can do: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

Your 308 when loaded with the right ammo can easily kill whitetails at 800 yards and elk at 500.

But if what you want is a rifle that will kill elk at longrange, then you need to be looking at the magnums e.g. 7rem mag, 300win mag, 300RUM etc. An alternative to the Sendero (which is a good suggestion), you could go with a much less expensive Rem700 SPS. You can pick one up new for <$500, then change the stock for an inexpensive laminate ($100) and bed it ($100 if a gunsmith does it), install muzzle brake (~$150). This leaves you with $1300 for bases, rings and optic.

Rather than spend the entire $1300 on optics, consider leaving some cash in the budget for reloading gear. You can get started reloading for ~$500.

Although my nephew's rifle is not a magnum, it is a great example of what you can do: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

x2...even if you go with a Bell & Carlson stock with a bedding block for $240, you will still have a bunch of money left for optics and reloading equipment.

I got a used remington 700 sps with Burris scope for $425 at a local pawn shop. It will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards and 2 inch at 500 with Remington core lokts. I was looking at savage but this was a very good purchase. It is in 7mm rem with a 4.5-14x44 scope. I dropped an elk at 350 with it this last season.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts