308 long range help

long-gun 308

Howdy, so I'm trying to get the most accurate load for a 308 win out to a 1000 yards. I'm looking for suggestions on bullet weight and powder. The barrel is a proof research all steel 26" with a 10 twist. Any experience would be appreciated

Assuming you have enough freebore....Berger 200 20x or 200gr Hybrids for the bullets, the 185 Juggernaut would be 2nd/3rd choice.....powder should be Varget, N150, N140, H4895 in a small primer pocket Lapua case.

I'm simple and stretch my dollars so I can shoot more. I would throw in some standard 175-180gr match bullets your gun likes. Use some standard 308 brass. Most of mine like the 175 Nosler and Sierra. Put some varget or IMR4064 behind it with a standard or mag primer.
Shoot away and enjoy the reps.

Howdy, so I'm trying to get the most accurate load for a 308 win out to a 1000 yards. I'm looking for suggestions on bullet weight and powder. The barrel is a proof research all steel 26" with a 10 twist. Any experience would be appreciated
My personal best luck was with the 185 VLDs from my 10 twist barrels. 26" Broughton barrels are what I have. Barrels are all braked. RL15 powder was what I found to be the best for my rifles.

I am doing it with 168's and Varget from a 26", the 175-200 grain bullets make it a bit easier in the wind......
I use the 168s out to 600Y on my home range not minutes away and then the heavys on other ranges at farther distances, as 600Y is the furthest I can shoot without driving for at least an hour and paying $$ access fees. But for being 10-mins north of Boston, that ain't too, too bad ...

I know I shot around 925 yards at Angeles Range in So Cal. And I believe I shot 1k at a private exclusive range with my brother. Both times I shot 168 SMK at around 2750 fps. It was dirt clod shooting so no paper targets, but I didn't notice flyers. Now here in Eastern Oregon my elevation is 2200 ft and I still shoot 168 CC's or SMK's, but out to 1230 yards so far. 175gr shoot flatter and I'd guess 185's would be better still. But 168 gr have stayed stable even after transonic in my 1-12" barrel. The 200 plus grain bullets have gained some favor with those looking to extend their range. I might try them even in my 1-12". YMMV

168 Hybrids work well at 1K. Shot a bunch of them with my double lugged M1As. My buddy shoots them with his 20 inch AR10 and 4.5X scope service rifle at 1K. 200-15X at 1000 yards. The only service rifle in this list against some of the best long range shooters in the country. This was at the NRA National Matches

Screenshot_20210414-160900_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
All 168 bullets are not the same. I would not use the 168 SMK for shooting 1000 as they are finicky going transonic and have a terrible BC. But 168s like the Berger and Hornady ELD-M have better BCs and do well at long range. I use the 168 ELD-M in my match rifle and have shot to 1250 yards in matches without issue. You can try other bullets like the 178 ELD-Ms and other similar from Berger also. I wouldn't use any .30 bullet with a BC less than .5 now.

Powders, Varget.

I wish I had more varget, I only have about 2 pounds left. I'll probably try hornady's 168s and Bergers. I have heard the Sierras 168s are a little flaky. Does anyone have an idea where to get some varget? And does anyone have any thoughts on IMR 4895. I've read a lot about that for M1A1s. What about for a bolt gun

4895 might work for you too. It's used in .308 loads also. Powders in the Varget burn rate work but Varget is great as you know. Not sure where to get any but watch out as lots of scammers out there now with fake sites that look real.

Try some 178 BTHP also if you can find some. They are around more usually and still have a good BC and are accurate.