308 long range help

All 168 bullets are not the same. I would not use the 168 SMK for shooting 1000 as they are finicky going transonic and have a terrible BC. But 168s like the Berger and Hornady ELD-M have better BCs and do well at long range. I use the 168 ELD-M in my match rifle and have shot to 1250 yards in matches without issue. You can try other bullets like the 178 ELD-Ms and other similar from Berger also. I wouldn't use any .30 bullet with a BC less than .5 now.

Powders, Varget.
The 168TMKs do it very well.

In brief chat with a Sierra rep. some time ago I was told the 175 MK was evolved for distances over 600 as the 175 would remain super sonic at 1,000, out of common ordinary .308 rifles and the popular 168 MK sort of fizzled out at 800 - this was prior to the advent of pointy plastic bullets. My brief exprience with 1,100 yard targets shows that the 155 Barnes Match Burner would get out there but that was on a warm day at 3,000 ft with real peppy loads close to 2,900 fps with IMR8208. Palma matches go out to 900 & only max weight of 155 are allowed.

Looking at my onhand assortment of powders & bullets I would probably use 178 H ELDM's & CFE223 or TAC. I would prefer Varget but U gotta use what U have. A look at the Hornady 4DOF calculator might help.

Well with your twist 175-185 like many others have said. 1000 is a chip shot once you consistently do it.

Just ensure your reloads are below a SD of 10 fps because the extreme spread will kill any group at distance. Also, get a good anti cant level.

In brief chat with a Sierra rep. some time ago I was told the 175 MK was evolved for distances over 600 as the 175 would remain super sonic at 1,000, out of common ordinary .308 rifles and the popular 168 MK sort of fizzled out at 800 - this was prior to the advent of pointy plastic bullets. My brief exprience with 1,100 yard targets shows that the 155 Barnes Match Burner would get out there but that was on a warm day at 3,000 ft with real peppy loads close to 2,900 fps with IMR8208. Palma matches go out to 900 & only max weight of 155 are allowed.

Looking at my onhand assortment of powders & bullets I would probably use 178 H ELDM's & CFE223 or TAC. I would prefer Varget but U gotta use what U have. A look at the Hornady 4DOF calculator might help.
The 175 TMK is another great 1000 yard bullet. Not much better BC than the 168TMK but weight helps. The 178 ELDM is a great option as well. Shooting prairie dogs out past 1000 yards with mine using 185 VLDs showed me how accurate they can be at that range. That kept me in the 185s for my .308. Roughly pushing them 2700-2750, while not fast still offered plenty of velocity and accuracy beyond 1000.

Back in the day I've seen many 168 SMKS imprint sideways on the target at 1000 yards..

I've shot 185 Jugs through my McCoy's 308 M1 Garand at 1000 yards. The 168 Hybrids do not give up much to the Jugs. Insignificant when the Hybrids are coming out at fairly high speed. These 168s can be pushed hard, their bearing surface is closer to the 155s than they are to the 175s.

If y'all can't find Varget, grab any 4320, the discontinued and forgotten powder. The powder work real well. Even the late Don McCoy (probably the best M1 Garand builder that ever lived) recommended the powder pushing the 190 SMKs on his 308 M1 built Garands.

I live it pretty cool weather 6 months out of the year. Do you think that would effect small primers with sd and es

Doubtful....A good load is a good load if tuned in the conditions you plan on shooting in.

This will probably ruffle some feathers but none of the bullets listed by posters in this thread win matches or hold records.....You asked for accurate at 1000yrds...I give you the top three bullets based on competition results.

Doubtful....A good load is a good load if tuned in the conditions you plan on shooting in.

This will probably ruffle some feathers but none of the bullets listed by posters in this thread win matches or hold records.....You asked for accurate at 1000yrds...I give you the top three bullets based on competition results.
Nothing ruffled here. For me, the 168 TMK and 185 Berger VLD HAVE been the most accurate in my personal hunting rifle. Being a long range hunting forum, my interest isn't winning competitions or breaking records, it's killing game animals at a long range. Maybe and often not at 1000 yards but occasionally that is a possibility so accuracy should be as good as possible. Beyond 600 yards my preference is the 185.

I have three long range 308's. Two of them do best with 175/178 gr bullets. One works best with 190 gr Speer match bullets, when I can find them. Varget or 4064 seems to work well. Brass is sorted and weighed, and culled on that basis.

Nothing ruffled here. For me, the 168 TMK and 185 Berger VLD HAVE been the most accurate in my personal hunting rifle. Being a long range hunting forum, my interest isn't winning competitions or breaking records, it's killing game animals at a long range. Maybe and often not at 1000 yards but occasionally that is a possibility so accuracy should be as good as possible. Beyond 600 yards my preference is the 185.

I doubt many, if anyone is killing much with a 308 at 1k..except maybe the occasional yote or crow....like you said comps and hunting are two different things. Competitions do lend some credence to hunting.

I use 20 and 24 inch match grade SS fluted ar 10's with 10 twist. I use cfe 223, TAC, and win 748 behind 175's for paper days. Varget has been not available for a couple of years and down loading powders like cfe for accuracy still has a velocity plus compared to varget.

Case selection and inside and outside neck turning is a must for long range.

good bc on these. I bought quantities before the crunch.