308 long range help

OP, not sure if you are hunting with them, but the 180gr Berger Elite Hunter has a better BC than even the 190gr so those are a good option also...They are pretty easy to get shooting well as they are a hybrid.

Yes sir.

Just can't find the powder for them. I have a stash of the 215s and Rl16, but scared to shoot them up....:p
I hear ya. I have a pound of RL16 and RL26. One box of 208 ELDM's but my barrel is 1-12" so hate to waste them.

OP, not sure if you are hunting with them, but the 180gr Berger Elite Hunter has a better BC than even the 190gr so those are a good option also...They are pretty easy to get shooting well as they are a hybrid.
I agree. I'd suggest the OP to run a ballistic app of his choice too. Since bullets are hard to come by it'll give him an idea what works at his elevation. Plus he made need a MOA rail to fit his scope for 1k and beyond work.

Too bad Berger quit loading the 200.20x in 308.

Their rep told me they used Varget or N140 depending on what they had. Those were moving at close to 2500 FPS out of my 20" barrel.

215s when you can find them are moving at 2493 FPS with Rl16. If you can stomach it, that IS your long range bullet...

I have seen 200.20x available quite a bit. No idea how they do on an animal.
I think the speed limit is only determined by your love for your brass and barrel. With RL-15 I was pushing 195 TMK's at 2550. I actually got about 3 loadings on that winchester brass too.

What's your best guess on the retained velocity at 1140 with the 20 inch tube. What is the measured muzzle velocity?
MV was 2743 +/- 9.0. no idea of the retained velocity but I feel like I would be able to catch it in a baseball glove!! it hit hard enough to make the steel ring! :)

MV was 2743 +/- 9.0. no idea of the retained velocity but I feel like I would be able to catch it in a baseball glove!! it hit hard enough to make the steel ring! :)

From my rough calculations about 421.5 of energy with a velocity of about 1063fps........be like trying to catch a 230gr bullet out of a 45apc at the muzzle. 😁
😁

I have been using the 175 SMKs, Varget, Fed 215Ms and Lapua brass. Gives me 2700 fps out of a 26" factory SPS barrel. I've used the 175 OTM but didn't see enough of an improvement to justify the $12/box additional cost.
Hi Steve...could ask what you found as your optimal Varget load for this...?

I have a 25.6" 1:12" barrel...would also be using 175SMK, Fed 215Ms and new Lapua brass.