.308 for Hogs

If there is a hoard of hogs at a feeding station look for the dominate Sow. Shoot her first and the others sometimes look for her to make the decision to bolt. Can shoot a few more before they bust.
We use a 223 with SGK 65gr in a RRA AR. Drops them in their tracks. Most of the time their legs just fold up under them when you shoot them about 2" below the ear cannel.
Yes that's most important f what I've read so far, there's feeders on property so will do that. I asked about an AR and friend I'm hunting with talked me out of it, his land so his rules👍🏻

A couple weeks ago we got into a herd of about 30 pigs. I dropped these two little boars with a bolt action 30 Nosler, I could have taken a third pig pretty easily but didn't want to be greedy. My hunting buddy dropped three pigs from the same herd with his bolt action 270. The 270 required follow up shots on two of his animals. The 30 dropped them where they were.

View attachment 339926
Nice, am a fan of .30 calibers, may just bring them both 👍🏻

I'd go with an AR10 or LR308 rather than the AR15. I kill a lot of pigs here in Texas and have used both. Most of the time unless you shoot them in the ear, your pig is going to run quite a ways after a 5.56/.223 shot. They'll likely die but you may never find it. A couple of years ago I put together an LR308 (the one in my avatar photo to the left) specifically for hogs and it's been a great rifle. The Severe Duty muzzle break and full length gas system makes it shoot like an AR15; no appreciable recoil. I just ordered a 30 caliber suppressor for it and will swap out the muzzle break once it comes in. I've been shooting 165 grain Barnes TTSX bullets but am going to work up a load for some Hammers and see if I can more velocity than I'm getting with the Barnes.
Don't own an AR10, was planning on my 18" M1A , not as heavy as it looks lol Thanks
01E124BF-BCE5-4B6F-B4C5-C679FB82528F.jpeg

I'm heading to SC in a few weeks for a hog hunt. Originally, I intended to use my 458SOCOM and the Barnes 300TTSX which shoots really well in my rifle. But .... after talking to the outfitter I decided I wanted a flatter shooting cartridge. I set up a .308Win bolt gun with a picatinny rail and QD rings. I've got a Pulsar Thermion scope for hunting after dark and a 4-14x Leupold with an illuminated reticle for the daytime. They seem to hold zero pretty well when switching back and forth. I can easily make hits at 400yds with the Leupold.

I settled on the Barnes 130TTSX because it shoots flat and minimizes recoil. The thermal has rather short eye relief which is what interested me in lighter bullets. A mono bullet (.308) in any weight should be enough for just about any size hog if shot placement is good. I was also experimenting with the 124gr Hammer which I was shooting at 3,200 ft/sec. It would be another good choice for my application.
I'm headed to South Texas in a few weeks myself. We use 458 SOCOM with the Hornady 325gr FTX. Most of our shots are close but my buddy got a good boar last year at 130yds with the SOCOM. 308 is the way to go when stretching the yardage out on pork.

Are you shooting Hogs for meat or to eradicate
If you are just shooting them to get rid of them there is a better way
but you will have to build a weld mesh round trap and put a heap of corn or oats on the ground
The next day just walk up to them and head shot them with a 22Long
I do this commercially and dispatch several hundred per year
If its for fun your 308 will do the job or if you are in a hurry try a shot gun with OO shot
If it is for accuracy and long range 308,243,6cm or anything your comfortable with
One thing you must NEVER do is if you hit one and it doesn't go down straight away - DON'T go in the scrub looking for it
More guys have been injured by a wounded pig than you can realize and they will wait until they can find something to attack
Cheers

Are you shooting Hogs for meat or to eradicate
If you are just shooting them to get rid of them there is a better way
but you will have to build a weld mesh round trap and put a heap of corn or oats on the ground
The next day just walk up to them and head shot them with a 22Long
I do this commercially and dispatch several hundred per year
If its for fun your 308 will do the job or if you are in a hurry try a shot gun with OO shot
If it is for accuracy and long range 308,243,6cm or anything your comfortable with
One thing you must NEVER do is if you hit one and it doesn't go down straight away - DON'T go in the scrub looking for it
More guys have been injured by a wounded pig than you can realize and they will wait until they can find something to attack
Cheers
More for fun, possibly some longer shots, depends, I've never been on property. Mentioned a few feeders he was gonna refill nd change times on. I'd not get on losing end of a tussle with a hog, appreciate the advice, it has been told to me by many, thanks

308 perfect!
308 in semi auto even better!!
Bring plenty of ammo.
Hogs like groups, they don't like shooting. They will run and scatter.
Unless your paying by the hog, shoot as many as you can, then shoot some more.
They are tough. They are mean.
We use ar10's or ar15's but in 6.5 Grendel.
223/556 of course is better than nothing. We don't care if they run off and die.
Have fun, be safe and kill a bunch!

Hello, I'll be heading to Texas next month to shoot hogs, was told 100yd shots usually. Was planning on using 168gr PSP rounds. Would you suggest a semi, or a bolt gun, and why? Curious on answers. Benefits of either, negatives as well. Thanks
Curious to know, where exactly? It'a a big, diverse state.

Curious to know, where exactly? It'a a big, diverse state.
Will be in Fort Worth for a knife show on 18-19, then my buddy says he's 2.5 hours south,?, so wherever that is lol. Plan on doing as much carnage as I can, I know they're a nuisance, I just can't see paying to shoot'em, it's like coming to NY to kill rats hahahahaha

Will be in Fort Worth for a knife show on 18-19, then my buddy says he's 2.5 hours south,?, so wherever that is lol. Plan on doing as much carnage as I can, I know they're a nuisance, I just can't see paying to shoot'em, it's like coming to NY to kill rats hahahahaha
Still Ft Worth