300wby bullet choice

300weatherby7

Im new here so thanks for having me. I have been shooting 150 grain nosler partitions out of my rem 700 300wby for deer. But im looking for a bullet i can use on elk and moose with the option to still kill a whitetail. Been tied between the 200gr nosler accubond and either the 190 or 210gr berger vld. Just dont know if the bergers would penetrate a heavy shoulder bone? And the accubonds might not expand on deer.Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yes the partitions are a great reliable bullet, but the soft lead tips get deformed when i chamber them. This has caused some accuracy issues for me

A friend of mine shoots berger vlds out of his 300win mag. They are super accurate. Just wonder if the will penetrate a heavy shoulder?

I haven't heard much about the eld-x. Will have to look into them for sure.

There should be more feedback on the ELD-X this fall and winter when hunters get a chance to use them on game.

As far as the Bergers, there has been a lot of game taken with them, with more successful kills than not... Very proven bullets...

I also want to load the 210 VLD or the 215 Hybrid for my 300 Wby and I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 215 in a 1:10 twist barrel? Berger states 1:9 for the 215 Hybrid and 1:10 for the 210 VLD...with my 1:10 twist I'm sure the VLDs would be great but after all I've read about the Hybrids, I'd sure like to give them a try. Hopefully, someone has some first hand experience......maybe Broz will jump in with his vast knowledge!

That is a good point. Ive read a bit about the hybrids. I figure if i shoot the 230gr there will be more bullet incase it encounters heavy bone, should just punch through and then do its magic. My barrel is also 1 in 10twist and berger recomends a 1 in 9 for the 230 hybrid

I use bergers in a few different calibers that I load for and have been pleased. However for my 300 RUM I load the 200gr AB. I have used it for everything from coyotes to elk. I think the partitions and AB's are both safe choices. Out of 7 30s including the 300 WM, WBY, and RUM at elk camp this year 5 of 7 were loaded with 200 AB's.

So far everything I have loaded with berger or nosler bullets have been easy to develop and perform well. The 200 AB in a 300 magnum amounts to a very solid do-all load.

I also want to load the 210 VLD or the 215 Hybrid for my 300 Wby and I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 215 in a 1:10 twist barrel? Berger states 1:9 for the 215 Hybrid and 1:10 for the 210 VLD...with my 1:10 twist I'm sure the VLDs would be great but after all I've read about the Hybrids, I'd sure like to give them a try. Hopefully, someone has some first hand experience......maybe Broz will jump in with his vast knowledge!

1:10 works fine. I shoot the 210/215 in my .300 Ackley and .300 WinMag.....And, believe it or not, in my 11.25" twist 5R .308 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.