257wby bullet choice???

bates132

I am about to start loading for my 257, and have mixed emotions about which bullet to try. I see that many load the 100gr Ballistic tips, but im curious how they perform on deer, heard some bad talk about them in other calibers.... I bought a box of110 Accubonds, but am seriously thinkin about the 100gr TSX after doing a lil more research and seeing the velocity comparison. Thanks for yer input guys......

Last edited:
I shoot the 100 grain Barnes ttsx at 3760 fps in my 257 wby mk 5. It does a very nice job. I shoot the 100 grain swift scirroco with a higher BC in some other 25's. These two bullets perform very well on game.

Barnes 115 TSX, 70 gr. RL25, and Fed. 215 shoots less than .25" out of my R93. I worked with the 110 AB for a while but could never get it to group like I wanted it to. I have good success with Barnes 80, 100, and 115. Also got good groups with Berger 115 VLD. When I found a load that looked promising and grouped halfway decent, I started playing with the OAL. That's when my groups really started to tighten up.

Do a search on 'buffalobob' and use what he uses. If you read enough of the proper posts you'll see that he is very successful with the 257 Wby and the load that is used.

HTH

I own two 257 Wby and both of them loved and shot the TSX 100gr Barnes really well. They preformed great on Whitetail. And also took and 6pt. Bull Elk in Wyoming last year, but for that I used 120gr. Grand Slam which shot well in these gun. But the 100gr TSX group a little better than the Grand Slam's. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.