300 wsm bullet choice

Sykes

Hey everybody,

Curious on your thoughts of bullet choice for the 300 wsm for bull elk out to 500 yards max for now.
I'm shooting a Rem 700 cdl sf 24" barrel.
I've worked up two loads that shoot very well
180 Barnes tssx with 69.2 gr 4831 SC @ 2950 fps 5" groups at 500 yards
168 berger vld with 69.2 gr 4831 SC (haven't chronoed yet) 3" groups at 500 yards

I am happy with the accuracy just not sure which to use for bull elk to 500 yards. Do I need to go up to the 185 vlds or will the 168s do the job no problem?

I have yet to shoot anything with a Barnes bullet but have had great success with berger bullets, including two elk with with 140 vld in my 6.5 creedmoor this year, mine at 150 yards and my wife shot hers at 300

Thank you for any input and advise

I like the 200 grain Accubond for what you're doing. You can run it with 7828ssc or RL17 for a stomper of a 500-700 yard elk smasher.

Typically you would see recommendations that are opposite if what you are testing: lighter & faster when going with monolithic bullets like the Barnes and heavy with high sd when going with cup-and-core bullets like the Bergers.

Most of the hard core LR elk guys shooting Bergers seem to be using 215 or 230 gr hybrids. I would expect more chance of penetration issues going with 168's.

ok you have shot elk with 140 gr in a 6.5 cm and question 168 gr just because its a 300wsm?

stick with the bergers they are designed for long range on game

If 500 yds is your anticipated max range, I would go with the 168 gr. and not look back. Shot placement is always the key and in your rifle the nod goes to the 3" at 500 yd load.

You mention max yardage, but what about the minimum? Based on the two bullets you've done load development for, I would sure feel more comfortable with the 180 Barnes for a 30 yard shot, and 5" at 500 the Barnes would get it done every time.

Maybe try out the Barnes 175 LRX. You'll get better long range performance without sacrificing anything up close.

Sykes, I loaded the 185 Berger and H4831 SC for my friend's 300 WSM Savage 111. Tweaking the seat depth got it to sub 1/2 MOA at 300 yds. Devastating on elk last 2 years. He practiced a lot at various distances,shooting positions and elevations. Did not try the 168's, but they should work well also. Good luck

Thank you all for your Input. I have 200+ berger 168s so I'll start putting in some practice at different ranges and go with berger bullets again this fall. Hard to not go with a load that shoot 3" @ 500 yard

As Timber338 suggested, Bergers don't do well at close range when hitting large bone mass - such as the high shoulder shot. At close range, the Bergers tend to 'blow up' at higher velocities when hitting solid mass. When shooting Bergers within 200-300 yds, stay away from shoulder shots and put one in the boiler room and you will be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.