.300 WSM Bullet choice for Large Deer?

skip AI

I am after a bullet to shoot out of my .300 WSM that will need to penetrate deep on Large Deer (Sambar) that could weigh upwards of 300kg and cause damage to vitals at ranges from 30m-200m.
The bullets I have considered are:

Barnes TSX
Nosler Accubond
Woodleigh Weldcore

I am thinking a 180-200gn will do the job.

What are your thoughts?

cheers

Whatever of the three shoots the best I would say. The Accubond will probably be tops ballistically with the TSX a relatively close second and the Woodleigh a distant third.

Terminally, the X will certainly get you the deepest penetration but I would not say it would be the best terminally. As far as tissue damage at the velocities that the WSM will produce, I would say the Accubond would be my first choice with the 180 gr getting the pick over the 200 gr simply from a velocity advantage standpoint in the WSM case.

TO be honest, your splitting hairs with all three. They will all work, they will all work well for your performance requirements. Pick the one that shoots the best. On average, I would start with the Accubond for accuracy concerns but will admit the other bullets often produce fine accuracy as well.

Did not help much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

They are all good performers, unfortunately only your rifle knows which one it will shoot best. I would suggest putting Hornady Interbonds on your list if you can get them.

Thanks guy's, I will have a play /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I was just making certain I was on the right track in terms of performance at close and longish range.

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts