6.5 Grendel Nosler Bullet Choice - Deer Hunting

You went in way after I got out. I was 303x2. Is 276xx the old RADAR Operator. At that time they also went Biloxi for school.

There were 5 of us who went to school with Westinghouse, as there was no school set at Biloxi at that time. I was a staff sgt, the ranking team guy during the 43e evaluation at Bergstrom. The final tech order verification at Westinghouse in Maryland, I represented TAC west of the MS River. We had reps from NG, TAC, European, Pacific, Training, and Logistics Commands. We were there for over a month.

Our unit did the maiden deployment of the 43e. 5 day convoy one way to the desert. Out of the almost 4 years I was at Bergstrom, I spent many months combined on 45 day deployments to the CA and NV deserts.

My 1st duty station was at Biloxi for almost a year after basic. Then off to Cape Lisburne. The FPS 20 tube type was the RADAR at that time. Then on Bergstrom.

Now, back to your regular programming. I chambered my 6.5G from a 6.5x47 take off barrel. I harvested 23 inches from a 30 inch tube. I didn't do any load work, just copied loads from the Grendel group.

This is what I got, range 200 yards. Have not shot the upper since then. The 2000MR load is 31.4, not 31.9 as my buddy annotated so in group app. I just made my own Grendel bolt from take M16 bolt. Opened it up cleaned the bolt face in the lathe.

View attachment 464902View attachment 464903View attachment 464904View attachment 464905
Wow, you have got some skills. Very nice lathe work. I actually have some 2000MR. Just about a 3/4 of a pound. Was that load with the Gold Dot?

Yessir, 276 - Scope Dope. Radar Ops. Aerospace Control and Warning Systems Operator sounded way more cool. I think it has been combined and is part of the Command and Control career field now. I joined in 1988. I was part of TAC until McPeak came in as the AF Chief in 92 and combined us with SAC to make ACC. That along with uniforms that looked like Delta airline pilots and the bicycle test replacing PT standards. It took a decade to recover from all of his crap.

Last edited:
Your wrong, property belongs to the city of anniston. There are several industries there. FEMA is now the controller of the Center For Domestic Preparedness. A anti terrorist training program. I was senior paramedic for the army when they were there. Then paramedic Chief when it became a Dept of Justice program. Then Dept of Homeland security. Now FEMA. It's only a small footprint on the property. They train first responders from all over the country. Police, fire EMS, port authority. Etc. Teach them how to handle terrorism attacks. Their are half million homes being built there. Not sure where you are coming from SSGt. But unless you have seen something I have not , and I've lived here for over fifty years. Then you are making it up. There has been a ton of money spent cleaning it up. The Mountains around it are open for tourist.Yahoo lake is a campground and hiking trails. Horse people have taken over big part for horse trails and huge stables with bid House for them to stay in. Foes any of this sound like a waste dump?
Well. That amount of documented dumping doesn't just get swept away. I have no reason to lie. Everything I stated is documented. You just believe it's cleaned up, I don't trust that it is, completely. Good luck, hope am wrong.

You went in way after I got out. I was 303x2. Is 276xx the old RADAR Operator. At that time they also went Biloxi for school.

There were 5 of us who went to school with Westinghouse, as there was no school set at Biloxi at that time. I was a staff sgt, the ranking team guy during the 43e evaluation at Bergstrom. The final tech order verification at Westinghouse in Maryland, I represented TAC west of the MS River. We had reps from NG, TAC, European, Pacific, Training, and Logistics Commands. We were there for over a month.

Our unit did the maiden deployment of the 43e. 5 day convoy one way to the desert. Out of the almost 4 years I was at Bergstrom, I spent many months combined on 45 day deployments to the CA and NV deserts.

My 1st duty station was at Biloxi for almost a year after basic. Then off to Cape Lisburne. The FPS 20 tube type was the RADAR at that time. Then on Bergstrom.

Now, back to your regular programming. I chambered my 6.5G from a 6.5x47 take off barrel. I harvested 23 inches from a 30 inch tube. I didn't do any load work, just copied loads from the Grendel group.

This is what I got, range 200 yards. Have not shot the upper since then. The 2000MR load is 31.4, not 31.9 as my buddy annotated so in group app. I just made my own Grendel bolt from take M16 bolt. Opened it up cleaned the bolt face in the lathe.

View attachment 464902View attachment 464903View attachment 464904View attachment 464905
Nice shooting. That picture of your bolt is why I don't like to push the Grendel too hard and why saami max is lower for this round. Not alot of meat left between the lugs.

Wow, you have got some skills. Very nice lathe work. I actually have some 2000MR. Just about a 3/4 of a pound. Was that load with the Gold Dot?

Yessir, 276 - Scope Dope. Radar Ops. Aerospace Control and Warning Systems Operator sounded way more cool. I think it has been combined and is part of the Command and Control career field now. I joined in 1988. I was part of TAC until McPeak came in as the AF Chief in 92 and combined us with SAC to make ACC. That along with uniforms that looked like Delta airline pilots and the bicycle test replacing PT standards. It took a decade to recover from all of his crap.

They had operators back the 70s who worked directly with pilots in the RADAR van, they had combat controller tabs on their fatigues, controlling the air combat during Red Flag.

If you need a special contour gas gun barrel of your design, give me a shout. I can do it for an AF guy pro bono. You buy the barrel, barrel extension, bolt, gas block, I can do the machine work.

They had operators back the 70s who worked directly with pilots in the RADAR van, they had combat controller tabs on their fatigues, controlling the air combat during Red Flag.

If you need a special contour gas gun barrel of your design, give me a shout. I can do it for an AF guy pro bono. You buy the barrel, barrel extension, bolt, gas block, I can do the machine work.
We did aircraft control out of vans. Did that in Iraq back in 04. We also supported Red Flag, but if CCTs were involved, that may have been some secret squirrel stuff. I will PM you. I happen to have a 6mm ARC build sitting in parts on the floor and would love to have some weight taken off the barrel.

Also tell you the story of a buddy calling me from Tonopah and asking me if I would be interested in a job. Funny story to follow.

Been working with 85gr HH last several days. In my 18" BCA with TAC powder, light LCD crimp, got great looking groups @2.166 coal 30gr 2801 .7moa, 30.5 2848 .6moa and 31 2890 .8moa some pressure at 31. Thats a wide range of good groups. Going to load some more in smaller jumps around 30 to 30.7.

Been working with 85gr HH last several days. In my 18" BCA with TAC powder, light LCD crimp, got great looking groups @2.166 coal 30gr 2801 .7moa, 30.5 2848 .6moa and 31 2890 .8moa some pressure at 31. Thats a wide range of good groups. Going to load some more in smaller jumps around 30 to 30.7.
Thank you for sharing.

Recent Posts