6.5 Grendel Nosler Bullet Choice - Deer Hunting

USAFRet

I am finally loading for my Grendel. PSA Upper and Stag lower. This is for deer hunting. I have in stock - 120 grain Ballistic Tip, 120 grain E-Tip and 125 grain Partition. Looking at expansion, the Ballistic Tip wins out. However, I would like a pass through for tracking, and that leaves the Partition and the E-Tip. The E-Tip takes a bit more velcoity than the Partition to open up.

Thinking the Partition is maybe the good go between? Use the Ballistic Tip for Coyotes and maybe save the E-Tip for the Creedmoor?

Any real world experience out there? Expert opinion?

Not a huge fan of the ballistic tip, to me it's just a heavy varmint bullet. I just went through the same thing with my 6 arc. I don't know how far out you plan on shooting but on deer I didn't see a difference between a mono and a partition on deer. I never recovered one, all went right through and the deer died.

This is a buck my buddy's kiddo shot with a 120gr Nosler BT out of a 16" Grendel. I built my Grendel around using this bullet and I will be using the 120gr BT in the Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel as well

IMG_7456.jpeg

I should have said, it's the go to load out of ARs for all the kiddos to use. I have the load data written down somewhere, I will post it when I find it.

It's a real confidence booster for the kids.
I would appreciate that. I am shooting a PSA 20" upper.

I am an disabled veteran with neck and shoulder issues, so I appreciate reduced recoil. 308 braked is about my limit.

I would appreciate that. I am shooting a PSA 20" upper.

I am an disabled veteran with neck and shoulder issues, so I appreciate reduced recoil. 308 braked is about my limit.

26.5gr Benchmark, CCI 450, Lapua brass, not a velocity monster in a 16" AR, but extremely accurate in a variety of barrels.

Of the bullets you listed the E tip would be dead last. I've been shooting the Grendel for over 10 years and have tried almost every bullet available. A plain old ballistic tip or partition has been the deadliest bullet I've used by far.
I prefer the 100 grain bullets over the 120-125 at the lower velocities that the Grendel offers.
I had miserable results with the 129 ABLR in mine.

Of the bullets you listed the E tip would be dead last. I've been shooting the Grendel for over 10 years and have tried almost every bullet available. A plain old ballistic tip or partition has been the deadliest bullet I've used by far.
I prefer the 100 grain bullets over the 120-125 at the lower velocities that the Grendel offers.
I had miserable results with the 129 ABLR in mine.

Have you tried the 107 TMKs