6.5 Grendel Nosler Bullet Choice - Deer Hunting

You cant go wrong with either the ballistic tip or the partition. I'd say pick the one that shoots best. If it's close on accuracy the partition will offer more penetration.

120 BT will do just fine. Grendel doesn't start fast enough to use harder bullets like an ETip or partition at any distance.
I've had great success with 130 Berger AR Hybrid on game from a 20" AR. I'm also periodically working on a load for 129 ABLR but haven't finished that one yet.

120 BT will do just fine. Grendel doesn't start fast enough to use harder bullets like an ETip or partition at any distance.
I've had great success with 130 Berger AR Hybrid on game from a 20" AR. I'm also periodically working on a load for 129 ABLR but haven't finished that one yet.
Actually the only hard part of a Partition is the base. The exposed lead tip opens quickly and reliably even at low velocity. I've killed many whitetails with Partitions and several coyotes that showed up at my deer stands and it always opens up a bunch even on coyotes.

Pass through with a Partition has always been a guarantee for me except one end to end shot on a 145 pound mature Florida whitetail buck and that one entered his chest as he ran straight toward me and we found the base of the bullet under the hide on his right side ham.

For medium to large game the Partition is my number one choice under150 to 200yds. Farther than that and I'm looking for something with a better ballistic coefficient and accuracy.

I have been racking up a healthy body count with my Grendel. WT Pronghorn, Aoudad rams and ewes and a bunch of pigs. All of it was w Hornady SST. If you could find the Nosler equivalent, I'd say try it!

My Grendel did not shoot the 129 ABLR very fast. I abandoned it for the123 SST.

I'm very impressed w the Grendel. I'm a big Nosler fan, but in this instance, I didn't see any Nosler bullet, in stock, that worked.

Of the bullets you listed the E tip would be dead last. I've been shooting the Grendel for over 10 years and have tried almost every bullet available. A plain old ballistic tip or partition has been the deadliest bullet I've used by far.
I prefer the 100 grain bullets over the 120-125 at the lower velocities that the Grendel offers.
I had miserable results with the 129 ABLR in mine.
Mike,
Would you describe more the miserable results you got from the 129 ABLR? That bullet shoots great in my CZ 527 and seemed to be the perfect choice for the Grendel, but I have yet to hunt with it. Just laid in another 300 from SPS.
I am hoping the miserable results you got mean accuracy, and not performance on game.

Thanks in advance, Mike.
Rex

While I haven't tried all the Grendel class bullets, I have tried many of the popular ones. I was ready to more or less write my Grendel off as one that just didn't shoot well. I then tried Nosler 120 Ballistic Tips and the rifle went to its happy place. Where all other bullets shot 1 to 2.5 MOA, the BTs consistently shoot .5 to .75 MOA so that is where I ended up with my particular rifle. Accurate enough for varmint shooting and stout enough for deer sized game.
My AR15 6.5 Grendel 1.jpg

Of the bullets you listed the E tip would be dead last. I've been shooting the Grendel for over 10 years and have tried almost every bullet available. A plain old ballistic tip or partition has been the deadliest bullet I've used by far.
I prefer the 100 grain bullets over the 120-125 at the lower velocities that the Grendel offers.
I had miserable results with the 129 ABLR in mine.
Good to know. When you say miserable results, accuracy or penetration?

The ablr has proven to be finicky to get to shoot. It's also a long bullet and takes up anlot of powder room if your not windowing your mags so you can load long.

Also. There is a grendel forum with lots of info and load data. Some helpful guys there. I was using 8208 xbr with good results in 120 gr class bullets. Grendel load data is on the weak side due to the 52k max pressure for bolt thrust. You can expect 2400 ish with 120's and a 20" barrel.