6.5 Grendel Nosler Bullet Choice - Deer Hunting

Also. There is a grendel forum with lots of info and load data. Some helpful guys there. I was using 8208 xbr with good results in 120 gr class bullets. Grendel load data is on the weak side due to the 52k max pressure for bolt thrust. You can expect 2400 ish with 120's and a 20" barrel.
I have been over there and also looking up AR loads on Load Data. Just load the BT and Parition and see what I get for accuracy. Expecting the BT to be more accurate. Trying Benchmark right now, as that is what I have in stock.

Own two Grendels. One shooting120 ELDM. Other is my deer killer! 85 grain Hammer Hunter at 3000 FPS. Easy out to 350 yards. It hits them like a lightning strike. Its out of a bolt gun, but 16 to 18 inch gas gun should get 2900 without much problem. I'm using Alliant PPV. You will have to work up your own load.
Seeing where 31.7 of TAC works. Not much more out there. May try and duplicate some data from another copper core bullet.

Seeing where 31.7 of TAC works. Not much more out there. May try and duplicate some data from another copper core bullet.
You can push hammers faster than regular copper bullets before you hit pressure. Usually about100 to 150 FPS. Go with a faster burn powder than you would normally use. Tac was not stable with ES. Pretty big variance. Power pro varmint gave the best overall performance. But something else in that burn range might be better for you. I'm getting 2997 to 3017 high and low speed. Very accurate from CZ527. There is data here and on the Grendel forum for load data as well as on hammer time. Good luck.

You can push hammers faster than regular copper bullets before you hit pressure. Usually about100 to 150 FPS. Go with a faster burn powder than you would normally use. Tac was not stable with ES. Pretty big variance. Power pro varmint gave the best overall performance. But something else in that burn range might be better for you. I'm getting 2997 to 3017 high and low speed. Very accurate from CZ527. There is data here and on the Grendel forum for load data as well as on hammer time. Good luck.
Thanks much. It is good to get feedback on what powders are stable and which ones are squirrely.

1988 - 2008. It was a good time to serve and I understand why the time you were in was rough. Not to much liking to the military back in that time. Would not serve now, though.
When I traveled I'd have to be in uniform for military hops but if it was any other air travel I wore civies. You got ugly looks from people when in uniform.

Mike,
Would you describe more the miserable results you got from the 129 ABLR? That bullet shoots great in my CZ 527 and seemed to be the perfect choice for the Grendel, but I have yet to hunt with it. Just laid in another 300 from SPS.
I am hoping the miserable results you got mean accuracy, and not performance on game.

Thanks in advance, Mike.
Rex
In my AR they couldn't even muster 2500 fps in a 20 Bartlein barrel. And the accuracy just wasn't there. I find the ABLR to be the hardest bullet to tune across many different calibers/cartridges. As mentioned above the bullet is really too long for the Grendel in an AR magazine. It eats up a lot of precious powder space.

Oddly my wife's 6.5x47 shot them in the .3 with the first load I tried.

Last edited:
Thats sad. I remember it was 2008 or so and my son had come home from USMC boot camp and was flying out to SOI. We were in the airport bar and so many people were buying us beers we got hammered lol.
Had couple of friends come back from their vacation in Southeast Asia. They had to travel in uniform, and *** holes would be waiting for them in SF airport to verbally assault them. Asking how many babies they killed. These people worked in admin or flight lines. None were even armed. But you were all lumped together, No matter what branch of service you were in. Sorry to derail you post I'll shut up now.

Recent Posts