6.5 Grendel Nosler Bullet Choice - Deer Hunting

I worked on Ft.McClellan for many years. When it closed the CMP range at Talladega was supposed to be there. Ranges ready to go, just needed to be up graded. But! Politics got in the way. Creedmoor moved to McClellan property expecting the ranges to be built there. But, the Talladega Park is really nice. Worth the trip to shoot there. Clays ranges, pistol ranges, 600 yard range as well as a steel target range. You're shooting from an elevated platform on the steel range. Before they stopped allowing shooters to shoot 22LR on the 200 to 600 range my hunting buddy and myself would shoot the 200 and compete to see who bought lunch in beautiful downtown Mumford Alabama. Big Daddy's BBQ located across from the blinking light in the middle of town!

I worked on Ft.McClellan for many years. When it closed the CMP range at Talladega was supposed to be there. Ranges ready to go, just needed to be up graded. But! Politics got in the way. Creedmoor moved to McClellan property expecting the ranges to be built there. But, the Talladega Park is really nice. Worth the trip to shoot there. Clays ranges, pistol ranges, 600 yard range as well as a steel target range. You're shooting from an elevated platform on the steel range. Before they stopped allowing shooters to shoot 22LR on the 200 to 600 range my hunting buddy and myself would shoot the 200 and compete to see who bought lunch in beautiful downtown Mumford Alabama. Big Daddy's BBQ located across from the blinking light in the middle of town!
They were trying to get funding to extend out range to 200 yards, but the current admin does not like guns. Last I heard, no funding. The nearest range over 100 yards has ridiculous hoops to jump through for membership and shooting. On Bragg, you just go shoot. You are your own rangemaster. I think yesterday was a fluke. The folks on the rifle range all had pistol targets up and the targets were all the same and at the same distance. They usually just shut down the pistol range for classes. Not sure what was happening.

Aniston AL/FT. McClellan, one of the most polluted areas in America. They still sprayed Agent Orange as a defoliant till 1975 on post. Plus all the mustard gas and other chem school experiments, numerous do not enter areas still. And all the PCB's courtesy of Monsanto, dumped into the river and ground water in Aniston right next door. Like 1 in 2 people got cancer who lived there. The townies sued Monsanto and won, but the government won't allow a FT. McClellan registery for the soldiers. Typical Green Wennie.

Aniston AL/FT. McClellan, one of the most polluted areas in America. They still sprayed Agent Orange as a defoliant till 1975 on post. Plus all the mustard gas and other chem school experiments, numerous do not enter areas still. And all the PCB's courtesy of Monsanto, dumped into the river and ground water in Aniston right next door. Like 1 in 2 people got cancer who lived there. The townies sued Monsanto and won, but the government won't allow a FT. McClellan registery for the soldiers. Typical Green Wennie.
Wow! Yep, I have found with my 20 years the one thing you can count on, if you are promised something by the Fed. Govt. they will not stand by it. Was in a mobile radar unit in Utah. We supposedly had blanking sectors not to radiate people. However, when I drove my truck to work, every time the radar would sweep, the gauges in my truck would flip out. Called ESH and had them confirm. Nope, all is okay. Tons of people in my career field get cancer.

All the chemical weapons are all gone. Burned up. All inspections done by the Russians. All the polluted grounds hauled off to waste site. Place is pristine. Now a wildlife Refuge. Main base in home to FEMA training facility and industrial complex on one side and new houses being built on the other. I Live three hundred yards from the north boundary on old McClellan. Now, Mt. Long leaf pine Wildlife Refuge. Lived here for thirty eight years. It's like a mini wilderness area now. Now Monsanto is a different animal. They did pollute every thing around west Anniston. And paid dearly for it. And half of the people living in west Anniston didn't get cancer!

All the chemical weapons are all gone. Burned up. All inspections done by the Russians. All the polluted grounds hauled off to waste site. Place is pristine. Now a wildlife Refuge. Main base in home to FEMA training facility and industrial complex on one side and new houses being built on the other. I Live three hundred yards from the north boundary on old McClellan. Now, Mt. Long leaf pine Wildlife Refuge. Lived here for thirty eight years. It's like a mini wilderness area now. Now Monsanto is a different animal. They did pollute every thing around west Anniston. And paid dearly for it.
Glad to hear that the area has improved. That is probably one of the few stories with a decent ending when it comes to the Govt destroying the environment.

Wow! Yep, I have found with my 20 years the one thing you can count on, if you are promised something by the Fed. Govt. they will not stand by it. Was in a mobile radar unit in Utah. We supposedly had blanking sectors not to radiate people. However, when I drove my truck to work, every time the radar would sweep, the gauges in my truck would flip out. Called ESH and had them confirm. Nope, all is okay. Tons of people in my career field get cancer.

Were you 303x2? Was the RADAR a TPS43E or a newer one?

Were you 303x2? Was the RADAR a TPS43E or a newer one?
1C571 (formerly 276XX). We had TPS 43s in mobile when I started, but when I got to my first mobile unit it was the TPS-75 planar phased array. Worked with the FPS-117 in AK and Iceland, but had the older dish radars when I worked at the Southeast Air Defense Sector at my first assignment. Can't remember the designators, but it was a mish mash of different radars, including the ones on the southern border on the aerostat balloons. We still had the old separate height finders on those.

Glad to hear that the area has improved. That is probably one of the few stories with a decent ending when it comes to the Govt destroying the environment.
don't believe that bs. the reason fema went there was the government didn't want the liability of selling that property, or to disclosure its contamination. In 1998 Aniston AL residents had the highest pcb levels of any city in America. tens of thousands of pounds of chemicals containing PCB's were dumped in snow creek and improperly buried around the area, that leaked down into the water table. It's a "refuse" because they dont want to deal with it or can't develop it more. Finally starting 1 housing area 25 years later doesn't give me the warm and fussy's. I wouldn't live there!. Cancer, liver disease and mental issues, no thanks.

don't believe that bs. the reason fema went there was the government didn't want the liability of selling that property, or to disclosure its contamination. In 1998 Aniston AL residents had the highest pcb levels of any city in America. tens of thousands of pounds of chemicals containing PCB's were dumped in snow creek and improperly buried around the area, that leaked down into the water table. It's a "refuse" because they dont want to deal with it or can't develop it more. Finally starting 1 housing area 25 years later doesn't give me the warm and fussy's. I wouldn't live there!. Cancer, liver disease and mental issues, no thanks.
Your wrong, property belongs to the city of anniston. There are several industries there. FEMA is now the controller of the Center For Domestic Preparedness. A anti terrorist training program. I was senior paramedic for the army when they were there. Then paramedic Chief when it became a Dept of Justice program. Then Dept of Homeland security. Now FEMA. It's only a small footprint on the property. They train first responders from all over the country. Police, fire EMS, port authority. Etc. Teach them how to handle terrorism attacks. Their are half million homes being built there. Not sure where you are coming from SSGt. But unless you have seen something I have not , and I've lived here for over fifty years. Then you are making it up. There has been a ton of money spent cleaning it up. The Mountains around it are open for tourist.Yahoo lake is a campground and hiking trails. Horse people have taken over big part for horse trails and huge stables with big House for them to stay in. Does any of this sound like a waste dump? As I said before, Monsanto was responsible for what happens in Oxford area. And they paid a hefty price for it. But that has been cleaned up as well. Calhoun county get it water for cold water Springs. One of the largest springs in the country. Bottled water companies pull up in tanker trucks to get their water. Twenty five years is a longtime to carry a grudge. PS. I'm glad you don't want to live here also!

Last edited:
1C571 (formerly 276XX). We had TPS 43s in mobile when I started, but when I got to my first mobile unit it was the TPS-75 planar phased array. Worked with the FPS-117 in AK and Iceland, but had the older dish radars when I worked at the Southeast Air Defense Sector at my first assignment. Can't remember the designators, but it was a mish mash of different radars, including the ones on the southern border on the aerostat balloons. We still had the old separate height finders on those.

You went in way after I got out. I was 303x2. Is 276xx the old RADAR Operator. At that time they also went Biloxi for school.

There were 5 of us who went to school with Westinghouse, as there was no school set at Biloxi at that time. I was a staff sgt, the ranking team guy during the 43e evaluation at Bergstrom. The final tech order verification at Westinghouse in Maryland, I represented TAC west of the MS River. We had reps from NG, TAC, European, Pacific, Training, and Logistics Commands. We were there for over a month.

Our unit did the maiden deployment of the 43e. 5 day convoy one way to the desert. Out of the almost 4 years I was at Bergstrom, I spent many months combined on 45 day deployments to the CA and NV deserts.

My 1st duty station was at Biloxi for almost a year after basic. Then off to Cape Lisburne. The FPS 20 tube type was the RADAR at that time. Then on Bergstrom.

Now, back to your regular programming. I chambered my 6.5G from a 6.5x47 take off barrel. I harvested 23 inches from a 30 inch tube. I didn't do any load work, just copied loads from the Grendel group.

This is what I got, range 200 yards. Have not shot the upper since then. The 2000MR load is 31.4, not 31.9 as my buddy annotated so in group app. I just made my own Grendel bolt from take M16 bolt. Opened it up cleaned the bolt face in the lathe.

20200710_170754.jpg
20210113_184542.jpg
20200715_213203.jpg
20200715_213300.jpg