300 WSM primer choice?

Guy M

Have run into a variety of different recommended primers for the .300 WSM in the published and on-line load data from different powder & bullet makers.

It's certainly not a huge case... What's working? Standard primers? Magnum primers?

The cartridge is new to me...

Thanks, Guy

I use the 215m's for mine. I also use them in my competition rifles so when loading for a sporter if it calls for a mag primer the 215m it is.

Guy,
I use large rifle primers, F210M, rather than mag primers in the 7wsm which is using a tad more powder than the 300 wsm. The SD is lower and they light fine. If it was for use in freezing temps, I would change over to mag primers. I base this on testing WLR, WLRM, F215M, and F210M's.

used R19, Win 760, IMR 4350 H 380 and H4350. Used CCI 250 mag primers for all. I have to admit that Primer choice is not huge on my list of things to change. I choose a primer that is good for the cal and generally stick with it.

Old Rule

was, for hunting, use a Mag for 4831 and slower powder or freezing temps. For accuracy Large rifle with the lowest S/D is optimum. Overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.