primer choice for 30-06

30-06 boy

ive always shot cci 200/cci br2 primers in my 06.been shooting at 350 yards.playing with powder,different bullets.want to try seating bullets in further.but my real question is,what primer,ie-wincherter,federal,remington,cci do you use.and what primers do not seem to shoot well?for my brothers savage 300rum i had handloaded with fed215m,shot ok.loaded same load with cci 250 and shot.6 moa at 100 yards.just trying to limit range time and wasting $$$$ to find a load that shoots real good.ive made accuracy improvement since i started.also just got a forster benchrest seater.cant wait to try it out.ok,i'm done rambling.thanks for your help/experience.jason

I've never noticed any advantage in the BRs over the regular primers, but all of my guns except one are 1.25" or so sporters except my Sendero. John Barnsness did a test awhile back and said that the CCI 200s were the most consistent in pressure. Those are what I've alwasys prefered and used. I buy them 1000 at a time. capt david

Top competitive shooters tend to stay away from CCI primers. And the milder ones tend to shoot the most accurate; even in magnum cartridges.

The Russian ones sold by PMC won't deteriorate over time like the others and become non-uniform in their ignition properites. And they are probably the most uniform semi-mild primers made today.

Otherwise, pick one you feel comfortable with, but you really don't need the magnum ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts