300 WSM Bullet

HOGGHEAD

I just ordered a new barrel chambered in 300 WSM. I am sending my rifle to the gunsmith this week.

I can pretty much choose what I want.

So my question is simple what bullet would you consider optimal for LR deer hunting and target shooting?? Out to 1,000 yards.

I can have the chamber cut the way I want.

What twist barrel would you recommend with the bullet?? Thanks, Tom.

I peronally load hornady 185 sst for deer and 178 a max for target

the sst's are devistating at 500 yards we still had about a 6 inch exit wound

If I was going to chamber another 300wsm I'd look hard at having one set up for the following bullets: 208 Amax, 210 VLD 180 VLD. On the other hand, you really don't need that much weight for deer... I just like the idea of getting the highest BC possible. If you have the chamber room for one of these long ones to be seated so you still maintain the case capacity and can seat to the lands they could be real winners.

Just my humble opinion

For hunting 180/200 gr AB or 180/200 SGK, for target 190/200/210 SMK. Remember...just because you chamber for a particular bullet doesn't been your rifle will like that one.

Deer hunting and target shooting are two different things. For LR target shooting I would have my chamber set up for a 210 VLD (Berger or JLK) for deer I would have it set up for a 180 E-Tip (which is a looong bullet) or 180/200 AB.

In my Sako 300 WSM if I seat the 180 E-Tips to fit the mag they are about .14 off the lands and theyseat way down into the case. When I seat the 210 Bergers to the lands, the bearing surface only contacts about 2/3rds of the neck wall.

Not sure what I would do in your case... The VLDs are great shooters, but I dont like them for short to mid range hunting.

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.