300 Win Mag or 700mm Magnum?

I will check into that I don't know a lot about the 28 Nosler . But your right about the 7 mm rum that why I don't shoot it a lot
Real world testing has proven the 7mm RUM only gains about 50 FPS over the 7mm STW (and .28 Nosler), but burns an extra 18-20 grains of powder to achieve that extra 50 FPS. In return to your extra 50 FPS, you get exponentially worse barrel and throat life.

If you are not already vested in the 7mm STW (which has always been one of my favorites, I have 2 of them), I would look into a 28" 1:8 twist Proof CF barrel and the .28 Nosler to rebuild that 7RUM you have sitting around. That way you can utilize it as a hunting rifle once again, for deer, elk, caribou, antelope, etc...

As for your 7mm RemMag, it will make for a nice target and hunting rifle if you run a 26"-28" 1:8 tube with the Berger 195's. That should be slow enough muzzle velocity (right around 3K) for decent barrel life, as long as you don't shoot it hot.

The only reason I was considering both these guns to start my build is due to having both purchased when Gander Mtn was going out of business @ 40% off! I haven't done anything with them since purchasing so I considering, with the low cost, it wouldn't be so bad to scrap a new barrel, etc. and build from action up.

Might want to shoot them first. Could already have a great shooter.

Real world testing has proven the 7mm RUM only gains about 50 FPS over the 7mm STW (and .28 Nosler), but burns an extra 18-20 grains of powder to achieve that extra 50 FPS. In return to your extra 50 FPS, you get exponentially worse barrel and throat life.

If you are not already vested in the 7mm STW (which has always been one of my favorites, I have 2 of them), I would look into a 28" 1:8 twist Proof CF barrel and the .28 Nosler to rebuild that 7RUM you have sitting around. That way you can utilize it as a hunting rifle once again, for deer, elk, caribou, antelope, etc...

As for your 7mm RemMag, it will make for a nice target and hunting rifle if you run a 26"-28" 1:8 tube with the Berger 195's. That should be slow enough muzzle velocity (right around 3K) for decent barrel life, as long as you don't shoot it hot.
Thanks

More towards target shooting
Man if you're mostly target shooting don't go with a 28 nos, recoil is up there and barrel life won't be much better than your 7RUM,
Less than 700 rounds is common.
I think your best option would be a 7 saum,
it's by far the most efficient option and now there's ADG brass.

Man if you're mostly target shooting don't go with a 28 nos, recoil is up there and barrel life won't be much better than your 7RUM,
Less than 700 rounds is common.
I think your best option would be a 7 saum,
it's by far the most efficient option and now there's ADG brass.
I've seen this stated before, but nobody can show proof of why the STW can get over 1,000 with no problem, but the same ballistic twin gets less... That sort of barrel life is reserved for the .26 Nosler, not the .28 Nosler. I'd guess it should be closer to 1,000, maybe more if treated right.

I've seen this stated before, but nobody can show proof of why the STW can get over 1,000 with no problem, but the same ballistic twin gets less... That sort of barrel life is reserved for the .26 Nosler, not the .28 Nosler. I'd guess it should be closer to 1,000, maybe more if treated right.

The guys that are finding the end of the barrel life in the 28 are around the 500-700 range. Mine had .010 throat erosion in 100 rounds. I could not care less why. I am not even sure what proof as to why would look like? I suspect it is due to running near 90 grains of RL33(I was using H1000). My 30 Nosler looks like crap at 700 rounds with only .010 throat erosion. It is still shooting but I seriously doubt it will continue for another 200 rounds and that is with a larger bore. I have zero experience with the STW but judging my 7-300s they were probably not going to get over 1k. I guess if you are ok with 1 moa or the occasional flier maybe you could shoot more but I need guaranteed first round impacts.

The guys that are finding the end of the barrel life in the 28 are around the 500-700 range. Mine had .010 throat erosion in 100 rounds. I could not care less why. I am not even sure what proof as to why would look like? I suspect it is due to running near 90 grains of RL33(I was using H1000). My 30 Nosler looks like crap at 700 rounds with only .010 throat erosion. It is still shooting but I seriously doubt it will continue for another 200 rounds and that is with a larger bore. I have zero experience with the STW but judging my 7-300s they were probably not going to get over 1k. I guess if you are ok with 1 moa or the occasional flier maybe you could shoot more but I need guaranteed first round impacts.
Now it drops down to 500-700. Interesting...:rolleyes:

Throat erosion is not the same as "barrel life". If the gun still shoots under MOA then it still has accurate barrel life. Also, why would you not care to know why it's not getting the type of barrel life you should be. Also, 90gr of powder is RUM charge weight terrirory... The Nosler is much shorter than the RUM. I don't think it will safely hold that much RL33, unless you're pushing 140's over 3,600 FPS... In which case, 500 rounds of barrel life sounds about right. But if you're shooting safe charge weights with 180-195 bullets in the 3K to 3,100 FPS range, and not shooting it hot, you should be getting 850+ with no problem, unless your barrel is crap, because of flaws in it's metallurgical alloy structure.

The only reason I used MOA as a standard, was because that's considered hunting standard for manufacturers.

Last edited:
Throat erosion is not the same as "barrel life". If the gun still shoots under MOA then it still has accurate barrel life.

I agree with that statement but it is almost always an indication of how much barrel life you will get and you and I will have to agree to disagree with the moa. If my rifles will not hold under .5 in calm conditions they are not staying in my house. If a barrel will not hold under .5 it is getting yanked. There is almost no way a barrel eating .010 every hundred rounds is going to shoot after 1k. Typically the throat itself is what causes accuracy to drop of. This is why you can often set the barrel back and shoot another couple hundred accurate rounds. It would not be worth it to me but some find it to be worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.