300 win mag load help please??

Elkwonder

I want to start a load for a new 300 win mag I picked up. The rifle is a LAW and it has a 24 inch barrel and 1 in 10 twist. I will be using Nosler brass and want to try the 200 grain accubonds. So what primer and powder combo would be best for this barrel length and twist ratio? Also keep in mind that I live in North Dakota and need a powder that is NOT temp sensitive. Also, I have a hard time getting federal primers where I'm at also. CCI is plentiful, but I guess i could order federal if anyone has them in stock......Thanks

I would look at H1000 and or Ramshot Magnum..maybe H4831, primers I would try Federal 215's ..

I know this is not what you asked for but if I were you I would get some Berger 215s Fed 215ms and some H1000. Run a ladder at the farthest distance you can get and pick the tightest vertical dispersion of 3 different powder charges.

I use Nosler brass and the 200 gr Accubond in my hunting rifle which has a 24" barrel. I ended up with H1000 and CCI 250 primers (Large Rifle Magnum). Does about 2850 fps.

10-4 on Bergers 200 or 215s, Fed 215 and strong charge of H1000.
I've found H1000 to go well with just about everything. I even use a couple grains in my laundry and my shirts come out sparkling clean; not bad in whiskey or your morning coffee just to jump start your day.

I have pretty much the same setup as you 24 inch barrel and 1in 10and I us two different powders imr4350 and h1000. Both powders shoot great I've been liking 63.4 grains of 4350 with 212 eld-x right now shoots great just make sure you seat the eld-x way out the shoot alot better I seat mine at 3.605 and there shooting. .5 moa out to 500 yards the h1000 shoots great too I just use imr4350 for two of my other guns so it's easy and just as accurate if not more just not as fast.

The 215 Bergers have proven time and time again to be a great long range hunting bullet. High BC, very accurate, and quick clean kills.

I agree on the 215 Berger. I run them with Nosler brass and FED GM 215 Match. 2995 fps out of a 26" Brux. Start them at 30 thou off and work up to pressure. Has worked in a few 300 WM with great results.

Beeman, does your Nosler brass hold up okay with this load? I'm running near the same MV with 215s and H1000 at 5,500' elevation and can only get 3-4 reloads out of Nosler before losing my primer pockets. I get 5-6 reloads out of Norma brass but its hard to come by. I've had to back down from my 3,000 fps MV to about 2,900 to get 5 reloads out of the available Nosler brass. Hornady and FC only gets me 2 reloads before losing the pockets.

Alaska2006 I do not know how many reloads my brass will do. I am only on my second loading as I mostly use this gun for hunting and have other guns for practice. This load shows no pressure but I am sure that I must be close to it. Very accurate load and I have another 100 Nosler brass once this is used up. I am only at 1500 ASL.

I load the 200 grain Accubond in my 300 Win Mag, my load consist of 78 grains of H1000, Winchester large rifle primer. I have the bullet seated 30,000's off the lands. This load will print 1/2 at 100 yards out of my gun, and an average speed of 2790 out of 23 inch barrel that has a 2 inch muzzle brake, so it's really a 21 inch barrel. I would imagine your 24 inch barrel will push the bullet 2900-2950 fps range ...hope this helps, good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.