300 Win mag load. HELP

Gcan

I recently came into possession of two new Surgeon rifles. A 338 LM Remedy and a Concealable Sniper Rifle in 300WM and an 18" barrel. I haven't fallen in love with a rifle in a long time. I love this CSR. 1:10. I need some help with load development for 18" 300WM.

was hoping to start with a ladder test for FPS/powder

Fortunately I have a bunch of powders, primers and options.
R25
H1000
N170
Retumbo
H4831
H4831sc
H4350

Primers
WLRM
WLR
CCI250
CCI 200
Rem 9-1/2
Rem 7-1/2
Fed 215M LRM Match
And a bunch more.

bullets.
210 SMK
200 SMK
155 SMK
168 SMK
168 Tipped SMK
155 Gameking
165 Gameking
Berger VLD TAC MATCH 210
Berger 215 Hybrid Target
Berger 190 Target VLD Match
Nosler 210 Accubond

these are all things I have: primers in thousands, bullets in hundreds to thousands
Powder min 3-8 lbs of each. I'm listing them hoping someone has a good starting recipe for a short barrel 300wm that matches up to my components.

I'm hoping to find a load without spending days burning up components. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 131
Send me all of your components, yes, all of them, and I'll work up a good load for you... I promise 😜

In reality, you do have all of the makings of a fantastic 300WM load. I hate to say it, but you just need to dig in and find out what your rifle likes.

If I were you, I'd be working with the heavier bullets that you have, as you are running a 10 twist. I have been working on 300's myself lately, and almost all of the powders, including Retumbo, H4831 (both standard and shortcut) and H1000 should provide wonderful results. I'm sure you can develop quality loads with the other powders as well, but those ought to be winners.

Problem with heavies are they tend to need a longer barrel to use the slower powder to get any decent speed. I think you have all the right stuff except the bullets. With that short barrel I would order some 187gr absolute hammers and give that rl25 a try.

Problem with heavies are they tend to need a longer barrel to use the slower powder to get any decent speed. I think you have all the right stuff except the bullets. With that short barrel I would order some 187gr absolute hammers and give that rl25 a try.
Ok. Thnx. I'll look for bullets

Send me all of your components, yes, all of them, and I'll work up a good load for you... I promise 😜

In reality, you do have all of the makings of a fantastic 300WM load. I hate to say it, but you just need to dig in and find out what your rifle likes.

If I were you, I'd be working with the heavier bullets that you have, as you are running a 10 twist. I have been working on 300's myself lately, and almost all of the powders, including Retumbo, H4831 (both standard and shortcut) and H1000 should provide wonderful results. I'm sure you can develop quality loads with the other powders as well, but those ought to be winners.
Thats the list of my major components Id think appropriate for 300wm. Sadly I don't have any 175-180 match, eld, vld bullets. I was thinking the 190 bergers targets would be in ball park

H1000
CCI250
Berger 215 Hybrid Target

Load long if mag will allow, at least 3.6". Depending on your brass, I would start at about 74gr.

My last one in my 300WM with a 26" tube with H1000 was getting about 2850. I think your barrel would be happy around 2700-2725 without pushing it too hard.

FWIW, I have a 20" 308 and it doesn't like the higher end charge weights.

Oh and get the Lapua brass when it comes out...

I'm hoping to find a load without spending days burning up components.
But that's all part of the 'fun'! Considering that long list of components available to you it looks like you're pretty comfortable for a very thorough (and lengthy) load development. Awesome looking rifle by the way!👍
If it were me I'd give the H1000, Berger 190's/215's and Federal GM215M's a go and see what happens. Even with your shorter barrel it would be worth a try especially if you have some distance (@ 500 'ish' yards) for a proper ladder test.....probably wouldn't take any more than 8 shots per test (2 tests would be ideal) to find a 'node' your barrel prefers.
Here's a couple of 'links' I used for reference when recently completing load development for my .300 Win Mag.

By the way...what brass are you using and what kind of distance do you have available for shooting?

Thats the list of my major components Id think appropriate for 300wm. Sadly I don't have any 175-180 match, eld, vld bullets. I was thinking the 190 bergers targets would be in ball park
stuff is in the mail!😂
if it were my gun I'd run ladders with h4350 and H4831sc with the 165GK. You've got a great list of components to load 300wm. Personally, I don't think h1000 or slower would be optimal for velocity in a 18in barrel at all.
thanks. Load up exactly the gamekings

But that's all part of the 'fun'! Considering that long list of components available to you it looks like you're pretty comfortable for a very thorough (and lengthy) load development. Awesome looking rifle by the way!👍
If it were me I'd give the H1000, Berger 190's/215's and Federal GM215M's a go and see what happens. Even with your shorter barrel it would be worth a try especially if you have some distance (@ 500 'ish' yards) for a proper ladder test.....probably wouldn't take any more than 8 shots per test (2 tests would be ideal) to find a 'node' your barrel prefers.
Here's a couple of 'links' I used for reference when recently completing load development for my .300 Win Mag.

By the way...what brass are you using and what kind of distance do you have available for shooting?
Sorry. Spontaneous Family issues.
i can shoot 1000 40 min away.
My close range is 300
I just loaded a bunch of WW
Have lots of brass. And 500 new coming.

I had decided to try the 215s in the short barrel with 175 SMKs i forgot to list. 215s are hotter. Might normally cause some pressure with heavys but thinking might get all the powder burnt in short barrel. I have loads for my 26" 300wm but know they will not relate to 18". I'm going to run a TB titanium can and am trying to not fill it with unburnt powder. Love the gun. Lots of issues with 18" that don't come into play in longer sticks.

Everybody has their own way but this is mine when loading for short barrels. Check a couple of books and find the powders with the fastest burn rates that you have. I will normally load 3 rounds for several different powders and shoot them over a chrony. Find the fastest velocity first and then see if you can develop a good load with it. It helps if you already have decided what your use for the rifle is. No need to load a 200+ grain bullet if you just want to shoot paper and deer out to 600 yards. In short barrels faster burning powders can give you more mv even though books say they are 100-200 fps slower in full length barrels.