300 win mag load help please??

Alaska2006 that is some good speed. 79 gr of H1000 for mine at 2995 fps. Maybe my chronograph is out. Drops are good out to 910 yds. As far as I can shoot where my gongs are.

I think my elevation helps a bit but its sure hard on primer pockets. I have 2 full custom 300 wm almost twins. one wears a Brux 5R 26" the other a Krieger 3 grove 26". The Brux is consistently 70fps faster than the Krieger load for load. Both long throated for Berger 215 hybrids.
Both will cut holes all day long if I do my part. I'm running the Brux .030 off and the Krieger like a bit less jump at .015

My Brux is built on a Defiance action while the Krieger is bolted to a custom Rem 700
I had Karl Kempfeld up in Sandpoint ID. do some work on.
both are set in McMillan A3 adjustable and both wear Jewell 1# triggers.
NF 5-22 on the Brux and Burris 5-25 XTR on the Krieger.

My Krieger was assembled by Kempfeld and Krieger and the Brix was built by Grits in Southern UT.

gun)gun)

Sound like nice guns. Similar to mine. Borden action, #3 BRUX, Holland brake, McMillan game scout, Jewel, NF SHV 5-20X56. Also long throat for 215's. Works like a charm!

Sorry Elkwonder,
I and Beeman didn't mean to hijack your post. I just got so excited I had a run away with myself.
perhaps you can weed some value out of our posts.
Beeman, great sharing stories, fire me a PM anytime and we can tell 300 WM stories.
gun)gun):)

I want to start a load for a new 300 win mag I picked up. The rifle is a LAW and it has a 24 inch barrel and 1 in 10 twist. I will be using Nosler brass and want to try the 200 grain accubonds. So what primer and powder combo would be best for this barrel length and twist ratio? Also keep in mind that I live in North Dakota and need a powder that is NOT temp sensitive. Also, I have a hard time getting federal primers where I'm at also. CCI is plentiful, but I guess i could order federal if anyone has them in stock......Thanks
H1000 and RL 26 are both giving me good results right now in all three of my 300wm's.

I'm using RL26 up to 180gr and H1000 beyond it. With your barrel length I suspect RL26 will give you good results. Your 1:10 twist will, or should be ample for up to 200gr bullets offering marginal stability above 210. If I were to build a new .30 cal I'd go with a 1:9 twist and a 28-30" barrel.

Right now I'm shooting the Perigrine VRG4 180gr and tomorrow I'll finish loading some of their new VLR for both the 300wm's and 300 Rum.

OF what's out there on the market and available right now other than the Perigrines the Hornady Interbond and Nosler Accubond or Accubond LR would be my choices.

The Peregrine is a solid copper allow bullet that opens with a combination of physical and pneumatic expansion that I got introduced to in S. Africa in 2015 and they impressed me. They have expanded into the US now and I have gotten a real kick out of being able to shoot them here at home and in both my .260's, my 300wm's and 300 Rum I've been extremely pleased with their accuracy and even moreso their performance on game. So far every one of them have worked apparently exactly as designed with sub 1" exit wounds even when shooting through both shoulders and the spine on several large hogs and 8 deer. Even on the coyotes I've shot I was impressed because had I chosen to skin them out the exit wounds were small enough to not get a big deduction from the hide buyers.

Loading for monometals is a bit different than standard lead cores but it isn't much of an adjustment. They tend to run faster and with less pressure so you can push them with a substantially larger powder charge than a lead core of the same weight.

The best advice I can give is to find a bullet your rifle likes in a weight it shoots well and build your loads then around that bullet rather than starting with a particular powder or load and trying to make whatever bullets you have "work ok" with your chosen powder or the other which is making it all about velocity.

If you can put it where it needs to be on the first shot, I promise your target won't be insulted if you are running a good bullet at less than max speed and pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.