300 Win Mag Load Development Help

What's your address and name. I'm sending you a box of ADG new 300 WM brass. I don't use adg in the 300wm and have a few boxes. We're trying to get you off on the right foot so you can be accurate and not lock up your bolt on your rifle!
PM'd you

What's your address and name. I'm sending you a box of ADG new 300 WM brass. I don't use adg in the 300wm and have a few boxes. We're trying to get you off on the right foot so you can be accurate and not lock up your bolt on your rifle!
Good stuff right there.

Hey Longtine, since you in such a giving mood, I just can't seem to figure out a load with the 215s and I am now run out...I was so close too....🤣🤣🤣🤣

I want to thank everyone for their input and their generosity. This site (while you can't be thinned skinned as ones the sharks start circling there is a feeding frenzy. Not so much in my case here. Just glad I wasn't reloading a 6.5CM LOL). has been a great wealth of knowledge for me so far and glad I joined.

Did anybody mention to headspace on shoulder vs. belt?

Don't toss anything, gradually increase stocks of supplies looking for good combinations. Go for uniformity.

Increase knowledge, looking for info as to what works best under current supply shortages.

I am using 178 Hornady ELDM's & Alliant 4000MR with Hornady data in the .300WM. Not a popular combo but works just fine.

I understand that using the best possible components will yield best results. I am not looking to shoot out to 1000 yards. I am trying to develop a hunting load that I can use to reach out to about 600 yards (practice) with good accuracy that I feel confident If I have to take a shot at 400 yards or hopefully less on an elk as I will be going on my first elk hunt later this year. My new rifle shoots well with factory ammo but like everything right now its hard to find. I've been wanting to start reloading for a while so I figured I would start now. I can seat powder, bullet seat depth, etc play a big role just wasn't aware brass played that big a role or I would not have bought the once fired and bought new premium brass. Not trying to cut corners just save where I can as getting into this hobby the purchases can be endless and the rabbit holes are deep
I agree with what everyone has said, your criteria is similar to what mine was when I developed a hunting round years back in the 1990s reused my federal brass from the factory loads my rifle shot well, took the brass length from the factory round my targeted trim, bought the same bullet from Nosler made the assumption powder was H1000 from Nosler reloading information, got the COAL from the factory ammo. As I have more funds available now, I have purchased better reloading equipment, have different caliber rifles now and use better components for reloading, etc. Has any rifle I have reloaded for shot that much better than this initial reload developed which was about a half MOA if I did my part, not really, kept using this load until I re-barreled the rifle to a new caliber. My 6.5 Creedmoor Bergara does better through the same hole at 100 yards on a good day. But it is still a fun endeavor, budget and have fun as you are correct this can be a money pit, and back then had other priorities, saving for putting two kids through college back then.

I'm a hunter. When I did my load development on my wife's and my 300win. Both Tikka. I used same brass head stamping. Found what shot best with the bullet I wanted to use. Both rifles shoot close to 1/2moa. My problem was seating depth. Feeding from short Tikka box mag.
Now I'm a hunter and where I generally hunt shots will be 500 and under.
What I found while shooting at 300-500 after load development. I have collected a bunch of brass. Load them the same. With my personal shooting ability. Shooting off a backpack and hoodie or bag. At 500 and under brass head stamp didn't make that much difference. I know at longer distance it will make a difference.

I'm not saying it won't but in my situation it didn't.

Different brand of primers made a big difference though.
I load for 4 different 300win hunting rifles. Exactly same load for all the rifles. They all shoot very good. Under moa. Brass prep and consistency of all components make a difference.

I'm a hunter. When I did my load development on my wife's and my 300win. Both Tikka. I used same brass head stamping. Found what shot best with the bullet I wanted to use. Both rifles shoot close to 1/2moa. My problem was seating depth. Feeding from short Tikka box mag.
What I found while shooting at 300-500 after load development. I have collected a bunch of brass. Load them the same. With my personal shooting ability. Shooting off a backpack and hoodie or bag. At 500 and under brass head stamp didn't make that much difference. I know at longer distance it will make a difference.

I load for 4 different 300win hunting rifles. Exactly same load for all the rifles. They all shoot very good. Under moa. Brass prep and consistency of all components make a difference.

So you were mixing the brass between you and your wife's rifle?

If FULLY sizing you could potentially get away with this for a few firings, but you are working your brass more than needed and it's life may be shortened.

I would recommend keeping them separated and sizing minimum to get longest life and ultimate, best accuracy from both rifles.

Chambers are different on every rifle, even the one cut with the same tooling, same day, next on the line, especially factory rifles.

Glad it worked, would be curious to see how many firings on the brass you have/get/have gotten.

I have found Peterson brass to be excellent in all respects. I also shoot a T3X on 300 WM and have experienced similar accuracy yours.
I'm curious about your comment regarding primers. I have always used Fed. 215M's and my rifle likes 174 Hammers seated at mag length (3.370") in front of 76.5 gr. H4831SC @ 3200 fps. Would appreciate knowing what your favorite load(s) are for your rifles.

Thanks

I have found Peterson brass to be excellent in all respects. I also shoot a T3X on 300 WM and have experienced similar accuracy yours.
I'm curious about your comment regarding primers. I have always used Fed. 215M's and my rifle likes 174 Hammers seated at mag length (3.370") in front of 76.5 gr. H4831SC @ 3200 fps. Would appreciate knowing what your favorite load(s) are for your rifles.

Thanks
I'm not trying to hijack your post but I can add some insight about the primers though. I have not gotten a chance to try the hammer bullets yet but they are on my list to try. My experience with 180 grain Nosler AB and H1000 was that most of the primers I tried were very accurate in my gun and IMR 4350 was extremely accurate but both powders showed high ES and SD numbers with all magnum primers I tried which included WLRM, CCI 250, Fed 215, both standard and match but when I switched to Fed 210 match things really settled down and long range accuracy improved. Winchester brass had 15 ES and 8 SD and Peterson long brass has shown 9 ES and about 5 SD although I have not shot the Peterson much. 300 Winchester was designed and came onto the scene many years before magnum primers were even available and was originally marketed with the standard primers from what I have read. 26" Kreiger #5 contour barrel with 1 in 10" twist. Holds <1/2" MOA most of the time and when it doesn't it's usually my fault. That's my experience with my gun but we all know that different barrels will react differently to different components and that's why it's always best to try different combos to see what they like the best but primers did make a big difference in mine.

Thanks
Thanks for sharing your experience. I may give Fed 210's a try. I noticed that a couple of my reloading manuals call for regular (non mag) primers…

So you were mixing the brass between you and your wife's rifle?

If FULLY sizing you could potentially get away with this for a few firings, but you are working your brass more than needed and it's life may be shortened.

I would recommend keeping them separated and sizing minimum to get longest life and ultimate, best accuracy from both rifles.

Chambers are different on every rifle, even the one cut with the same tooling, same day, next on the line, especially factory rifles.

Glad it worked, would be curious to see how many firings on the brass you have/get/have gotten.
No not mixing brass between rifles. I shoot same brass in same rifle. Mixed head stamp after load development. Just the same load worked great in both rifles.

Some cases are very close in some cartridges. I have found Rem and Win to be close. Fed to less capacity. Have not used them in awhile.

ADG to have less than Norma and produced less velocity with more pressure. No idea about Lapua.

Thanks
I have not shot the hammer in 300 yet but when I do I'm going lighter. I'm shooting 165 nos ab at mag length 78g re26.
I have gotten similar results with slower burning powder I use fed cci magnum primers. I did have good results with a faster powder like h4831 h4350 and others. Using large rifle match and win primers. I had absolutely horrible results from Remington primers. I'm not going into that long story. Lol