.300 Win Mag......Need Help......please

I would use a 180 grain or less and use the Miller stability estimator to check out adequate stability for the altitude & temperature you intend to shoot. The JBM stability calculator provides estimated Sg values using bullet weight & length.

These calculations enable the plastic tippy thing, of negligible weight but of length consequence to be considered in a Sg calculation or estimate. The JBM Sg calculations use the Miller method, which I have seen duplicate the results of that found on the Berger site, except the Berger Sg estimates don't provide for plastic tips. Most plastic tips are between .14 to .15 long. I have found the Miller Sg estimator method to be conservative - I use it before buying bullets.

11 twist is not usual for the .300WM. Shooting elks is usually not done on warm blue bird days.

Use a stability calculator such as;
This will give a fairly close idea how heavy you can go with an 11 twist. In my 300 Win Mag with the 11 twist, I stay at 180gr or below with bullets such as the Nosler Accubond. Had the best accuracy with H1000.
Been using the 180's for years. Loaded with "H-1000" with CCI 250 mag primers! 78-80 gr power! Work up slowly,and good hunting!

Like the Berger twist rate stability calculator.

I bought home some 180 Accubonds, the regular not the Long Range.

Pick the rifle up tomorrow from FFL. Everything is here and ready to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.