30 NOSLER OR 300 PRC

Nosler if I had to choose between the two, If I won or was given a Hornady anything .... I'd trade it away or rechamber/rebarrel without firing

other than that I have little use for both of them, neither of them are as good as the 300 Norma Improved

Nosler if I had to choose between the two, If I won or was given a Hornady anything .... I'd trade it away or rechamber/rebarrel without firing

other than that I have little use for both of them, neither of them are as good as the 300 Norma Improved
Neither will match standard 300 Norma velocity with same weight bullets & same length barrel.

has there been any talk about a 300 PRC improved? It's a very new carteidge and I haven't seen anything yet but if it was would that give it more of an edge over the Nosler? Seems like it would have good potential? Buy factory ammo, fire form, load. It may defeat the purpose of the round?

Thank you! That's what I as looking for. Nice lightweight 300 PRC improved for a long range hunting rig. Not sure if it benefits that much over the 7/300 I use but the larger bullet would be nice for certain critters.

Thank you! That's what I as looking for. Nice lightweight 300 PRC improved for a long range hunting rig. Not sure if it benefits that much over the 7/300 I use but the larger bullet would be nice for certain critters.
P.m. the O.P. and ask him anything ya want. He is very knowledgeable and is easy to talk to. His web address is is
https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/
His name is Rich. Good luck

has there been any talk about a 300 PRC improved? It's a very new carteidge and I haven't seen anything yet but if it was would that give it more of an edge over the Nosler? Seems like it would have good potential? Buy factory ammo, fire form, load. It may defeat the purpose of the round?

I don't know that it will really gain too much over the Nosler or the standard PRC, but I liked the idea enough that I ordered a set of 300 PRC S.I. dies and I'll have a barrel cut in a little while. The only difference in cost over a standard PRC would be the dies but that's a one time expense.

I agree. I was thinking more on the lines the improved case would be less prone to stretching. It all seems good to me, but is it a better then what I have? Regardless I really like the idea so far.

I agree. I was thinking more on the lines the improved case would be less prone to stretching. It all seems good to me, but is it a better then what I have? Regardless I really like the idea so far.

Bigger is always better when it comes to guns!

It will be a bit faster, handle pressures better(even better when one of the better brass companies start making 300 prc brass), and barrel life will most likely be better. Those are all good reasons, I think.
And it will be fairly unique.

the 300 PRC is at 98.3 h20 to top of case and 93.6 to neck/shoulder junction (according to Quick Design) has a full caliber neck length at .308" and .017" case taper from bottom of case head to top of body/shoulder junction...... with a 30 degree shoulder angle...... not a whole lot left to "improve" on this case,

if you simply bump up the shoulder to 40 degrees with the .308" neck length and no other changes you get 98.9 gr h20 for a .6 gr increase....

if you stay with the 40 degree shoulder/.308" neck length and reduce taper to .010" then you get 100.2 gr h20.... a whopping 1.7 gr increase in h20....... ""MEH""

so lets say some of you bought into the 40 degree and longer neck for double the barrel life bs.....

take the 300 PRC case and push the neck down to 40 degrees with no other changes and you get a neck length at .355" with 97.6 gr h20 for a loss of .7 gr.....

improve the body for .010" case taper and you end up with 98.9 h20 for an increase at .6gr over the original... WTH is the point ?

so now with the 40 degree shoulder angle and .010" case taper improved body lets push it all up to the "magical" barrel life enhancement of the .320" neck length in 30 caliber, shall we ? you get 99.9 gr case h20 capacity.......

an astounding 1.6 gr gain in capacity over the original..... but hey with the 40* shoulder an longer neck it will magically gain you 150 fps and double your barrel life......

you max it out to maximize case capacity.... to burn more powder.... to get higher velocities, how will it "Improve barrel life" ? a 40 degree shoulder WILL NOT magically offer you any sort of measurable "barrel life " improvements..... it is a retarded and unproven notion.......

this message brought to you by by the letter F...... for facts not folly.....

For me, I want to get a CA mpr and it is offered in 300 win and 300 Norma. The win has a 10 twist and the Norma has an 8. I prefer the 8 for my shooting conditions and bullet selection. I also want a .30 that can push a 215 Berger at over 3000fps and not be pushing hard to do it.

In Canada, lapua made norma brass is available and is half the price of 30N brass. So the Norma is a no brainer in my situation.

The only thing I am not sure of is the powder. I have plenty of N570 but I am thinking about trying to go with h1000. I know I will lose some velocity at the same pressure but I am thinking it is hard to beat the consistency of h1000 and I am a little concerned about reports that N570 is quite a bit harder on barrels that h1000.
I think you'd find higher velocities and lower SD's with RL33 or RL26.

H1000 was my go to for all my magnums for twenty plus years until due to the shortages I was forced to try RL33 and RL26 as replacements.

I was shocked at the results.

the 300 PRC is at 98.3 h20 to top of case and 93.6 to neck/shoulder junction (according to Quick Design) has a full caliber neck length at .308" and .017" case taper from bottom of case head to top of body/shoulder junction...... with a 30 degree shoulder angle...... not a whole lot left to "improve" on this case,

if you simply bump up the shoulder to 40 degrees with the .308" neck length and no other changes you get 98.9 gr h20 for a .6 gr increase....

if you stay with the 40 degree shoulder/.308" neck length and reduce taper to .010" then you get 100.2 gr h20.... a whopping 1.7 gr increase in h20....... ""MEH""

so lets say some of you bought into the 40 degree and longer neck for double the barrel life bs.....

take the 300 PRC case and push the neck down to 40 degrees with no other changes and you get a neck length at .355" with 97.6 gr h20 for a loss of .7 gr.....

improve the body for .010" case taper and you end up with 98.9 h20 for an increase at .6gr over the original... WTH is the point ?

so now with the 40 degree shoulder angle and .010" case taper improved body lets push it all up to the "magical" barrel life enhancement of the .320" neck length in 30 caliber, shall we ? you get 99.9 gr case h20 capacity.......

an astounding 1.6 gr gain in capacity over the original..... but hey with the 40* shoulder an longer neck it will magically gain you 150 fps and double your barrel life......

you max it out to maximize case capacity.... to burn more powder.... to get higher velocities, how will it "Improve barrel life" ? a 40 degree shoulder WILL NOT magically offer you any sort of measurable "barrel life " improvements..... it is a retarded and unproven notion.......

this message brought to you by by the letter F...... for facts not folly.....

Thank you for this! It's nice to finally read some common sense when it comes to improved rounds. Let's not forget to mention that you're talking about a parent case which probably has a barrel life of 1500 rounds to begin with. If you can get 5 reloads per case over the life span of the barrel you're going to have to fire form 300 cases for the improved version. That's 20% of the barrel life just in fire forming, before load development! Seems crazy to save yourself a whopping 2 MOA at 1000 yards, assuming that 1.6 grains can get you 100 fps.

I think you'd find higher velocities and lower SD's with RL33 or RL26.

H1000 was my go to for all my magnums for twenty plus years until due to the shortages I was forced to try RL33 and RL26 as replacements.

I was shocked at the results.
I have considered RL26 and RL33 as well. Have you used N570?