30 NOSLER OR 300 PRC

It's not a better design then the prc. Can it be a bit faster. Yes. But there's plenty of faster cartridges then the 30 nos.
It is a better designed case with crappy saami freebore.
The 35 degree shoulder is more ideal in terms of case growth, it's shorter fatter dimensions are superior as well, and saami reamers aren't having clicker issues that are plaguing the PRC.
Velocity isn't everything, but my 30 Nos is faster than my 30 SM, which is faster than the prc.

the 30 Nosler loaded to SAAMI specs still beats the 300 PRC and the 2 gr "improved" versions loaded to brass busting pressures

the click issue is a direct result of overloading to 70-75 k psi and more, that overpressure expands the web area outside of the chamber and brass is toast

If 300 PRC fanatics accepted that it's nothing more than a beltless 300 Win Mag + 50 fps and loaded accordingly, they'd stop having issues but they keep trying to make a mountain out of a pile ...........

Swamplord just somewhat summarized the 300prc. It's an "optimized" 300wm without the belt, +50-100fps, with a case neck thats not .264" long in a 30cal magnum, thats designed to shoot 210-240gr bullets WITH a 9"tw barrel.

People make the 300prc out to be something it's not. It's not a speed demon! It's got a pretty tight chamber designed to shoot the longer heavier 30cal bullets about 3000fps.....that's pretty much it!

I can currently find 40+ different factory rifle models chambered in 300prc. That cannot be said for the 30noz. The ability for any person to go to their nearest bass pro and find rifles chambered in 300prc from $500-$5,000 gives the cartridge "staying power".

I don't own a 30noz but I do own a 300wm and a 300prc. I'm shooting .5-.6" groups with hornady match out of a "bone stock" Bergara HMR in 300prc. Smoked a 175# boar at 715yds 14 days ago. It does exactly what I bought it to do. Oh and I have CIP 3.8" length magazines in a $900 rifle. AND...I've bought ammo off the shelf at Atwoods, Academy, Scheels, Cabelas and even one box at Walmart "which I avoid like a crying woman" for less than $50 a box.

The 30noz might be faster but at a COAL of 3.40" you aint gonna get a 225gr bullet to stick out very far. And if everyone is talking about lighter than 210gr I'm gonna do that in my 300wm. If you are talking about 180gr I'm gonna do that in a 7mm.

Yes those are CONSERVATIVE ballpark numbers that I've given and other things are very possible with custom rifles and custom freebores and hand loaded ammunition. I'm a "worst case scenario" guy when it comes to factory ammo manufacturers ballistic numbers. I don't buy into hype and actually try to stay away from hyped up cartridges and form my own opinion based off first hand knowledge and forums just like this one.

If you told me to pick between a factory 30nosler and a factory 300prc I'm gonna pick the 300prc every day and twice on Sunday.

Swamplord just somewhat summarized the 300prc. It's an "optimized" 300wm without the belt, +50-100fps, with a case neck thats not .264" long in a 30cal magnum, thats designed to shoot 210-240gr bullets WITH a 9"tw barrel.

People make the 300prc out to be something it's not. It's not a speed demon! It's got a pretty tight chamber designed to shoot the longer heavier 30cal bullets about 3000fps.....that's pretty much it!

I can currently find 40+ different factory rifle models chambered in 300prc. That cannot be said for the 30noz. The ability for any person to go to their nearest bass pro and find rifles chambered in 300prc from $500-$5,000 gives the cartridge "staying power".

I don't own a 30noz but I do own a 300wm and a 300prc. I'm shooting .5-.6" groups with hornady match out of a "bone stock" Bergara HMR in 300prc. Smoked a 175# boar at 715yds 14 days ago. It does exactly what I bought it to do. Oh and I have CIP 3.8" length magazines in a $900 rifle. AND...I've bought ammo off the shelf at Atwoods, Academy, Scheels, Cabelas and even one box at Walmart "which I avoid like a crying woman" for less than $50 a box.

The 30noz might be faster but at a COAL of 3.40" you aint gonna get a 225gr bullet to stick out very far. And if everyone is talking about lighter than 210gr I'm gonna do that in my 300wm. If you are talking about 180gr I'm gonna do that in a 7mm.

Yes those are CONSERVATIVE ballpark numbers that I've given and other things are very possible with custom rifles and custom freebores and hand loaded ammunition. I'm a "worst case scenario" guy when it comes to factory ammo manufacturers ballistic numbers. I don't buy into hype and actually try to stay away from hyped up cartridges and form my own opinion based off first hand knowledge and forums just like this one.

If you told me to pick between a factory 30nosler and a factory 300prc I'm gonna pick the 300prc every day and twice on Sunday.

For the most part correct. Currently building a 300PRC and read so many different performance threads and many DO claim it's something it's not. I jumped on that wagon but since jumped back off. Called and spoke to someone with real data and chrono numbers with one. I now make it out to be exactly what it is. Jumping into a 30SM, I'll legitimately get 3000 fps easily with 225/230 grain bullets from a 26" barrel. That was my criteria going into a new 308 caliber rifle. Sure the 300PRC may get that as well but things will get hot at that point. Rather be on cruise control getting that number and have zero pressure. It's exactly what I want. Alot of guys running the 30SM do push it and get much better performance. I'll run 212/215 mostly and 225/230 when needed.

If you are going to be stuck with factory rifles and factory ammo the PRC makes more sense.

Thank God we are not stuck with those choices.

My bartlein 3b will be finished up for my origin action hopefully this week. I'm going 24" 300 prc. I'm just looking for 2900 out of her with a 225 eldm and I know that's gunna be easily attainable. I agree with people way over pressuring the prc. No doubt at all

I was hoping someone would bring more sanity and fewer prejudices to this discussion. Well done.

For the most part correct. Currently building a 300PRC and read so many different performance threads and many DO claim it's something it's not. I jumped on that wagon but since jumped back off. Called and spoke to someone with real data and chrono numbers with one. I now make it out to be exactly what it is. Jumping into a 30SM, I'll legitimately get 3000 fps easily with 225/230 grain bullets from a 26" barrel. That was my criteria going into a new 308 caliber rifle. Sure the 300PRC may get that as well but things will get hot at that point. Rather be on cruise control getting that number and have zero pressure. It's exactly what I want. Alot of guys running the 30SM do push it and get much better performance. I'll run 212/215 mostly and 225/230 when needed.
It's got a slight balistic edge over the WM, where it comes into it's own though is with the very heavy for caliber bullets since allows you to load to full length still using a standard factory magnum box and action.

If one wants a speed demon, there are larger 30 caliber cases such as the Rum and 30-378.

The best way I can describe it is it does the same thing the 300wm does, just a little better.

There's some inborn, maybe even inbred prejudice against all of the New Hornady/Ruger offerings and it blinds a whole lot of people.

I can understand being fed up with the fantastic claims of the Needmore owners, but that isn't Hornady's fault.

My bartlein 3b will be finished up for my origin action hopefully this week. I'm going 24" 300 prc. I'm just looking for 2900 out of her with a 225 eldm and I know that's gunna be easily attainable. I agree with people way over pressuring the prc. No doubt at all
Hornady's ballistic charts online shows 2810 but with the right powder it should be doable without going over pressure.

None of the critters you're shooting at will notice the difference either way.

Hornady's ballistic charts online shows 2810 but with the right powder it should be doable without going over pressure.

None of the critters you're shooting at will notice the difference either way.
Yeah, I'm sure I'll be able to get there fairly easy but we shall see. I'll be breaking the barrel in with some rl25 and that should show about where it'll wanna run. I think I loaded up to two grains over max and that should easily get to 2900 plus if it doesn't pressure out. We shall see soon

Happy International .308 caliber Day !

65FA53D0-1126-41A8-AA60-88AA22F91C30.jpeg

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be able to get there fairly easy but we shall see. I'll be breaking the barrel in with some rl25 and that should show about where it'll wanna run. I think I loaded up to two grains over max and that should easily get to 2900 plus if it doesn't pressure out. We shall see soon
RL 26 will get you there with lower pressure if you can lay your hands on some.

RL 26 will get you there with lower pressure if you can lay your hands on some.
I've got a bit on standby but won't be using it as my main powder unless I find some more. Only have about two pounds of it. I've got a bunch of rl25 to play with and I'd be surprised if it didn't also get there. It would be ok for a range load but I don't like the temp instability for a hunting load. Also have large quantities of imr7828, ram shot magnum, h4831sc and imr4831. The 4831's are gunna be a bit two slow. I've also got a bit of h1000 to try out but not enough to sustain so we shall see.

My 26" 300 win mag had no problems getting over 2900 with the 225's with any decent powder and I'd expect a 24" prc to run close to the same as that. Hornady says 2850 with rl25/26. Honestly I'm fine with 2850 also. Accuracy is king. Looking for a really good consistent load to take out to a mile for some fun.