30-06 that could

Some of you are getting very impressive velocities. I rebarreled Ruger 77 mk ii with a Bartlein 26" #3 contour in 30-06 AI. Trued the action and bedded it in a Mcmillan fiberglass stock. Timney trigger. I found Winchester brass to have the greatest capacity by several grains. It is a little inconsistent and requires some sorting for absolute accuracy. Reloader 23 and Staball 6.5 will both push a 200 grain Berger hybrid target over 2800 fps with excellent accuracy. On my best days it's sub half moa. It is consistently sub moa the rest of the time. Faster than that and fliers increased. Started seeing pressure around 2850.

Attachments

• 20210904_122143.jpg
    20210904_122143.jpg
    815.8 KB · Views: 51
Some of you are getting very impressive velocities. I rebarreled Ruger 77 mk ii with a Bartlein 26" #3 contour in 30-06 AI. Trued the action and bedded it in a Mcmillan fiberglass stock. Timney trigger. I found Winchester brass to have the greatest capacity by several grains. It is a little inconsistent and requires some sorting for absolute accuracy. Reloader 23 and Staball 6.5 will both push a 200 grain Berger hybrid target over 2800 fps with excellent accuracy. On my best days it's sub half moa. It is consistently sub moa the rest of the time. Faster than that and fliers increased. Started seeing pressure around 2850.

@A A Ron

What was your starting load with RL23 pushing the 200s through your 06 AI?

I am really loving this 30-06 thread!

When I was a kid nearly every household, that had a deer hunter, had the old 30-06. So did I.

In my middle age years, they were pushed farther and farther back in the closet (not even worthy of the safe) to make room for the new fancy calibers that promised bigger, better, longer, stronger, shorter, faster and flatter trajectories with increased killing power that the American big game hunter absolutely fell in love with! So did I.

Today we are reading about the old 30-06. The old workhorse just sat in the back of the closet while we tinkered with the next great wonder cartridge...until we began thinking... "I wander what the old 30-06 cartridge would do if I loaded it with this new powder with that new bullet".... TA-DAAH!!!

From lighter bullets at screaming flat velocities to the new long heavies moving along at speeds not seen before out of this cartridge, this old 06 endured the test of time alone in the back of the closet and due to the advent of new powders and bullets...is now back on the front line as the most versatile cartridge ever developed.

I guess that's why most people come up with a common answer when asked, "If you could only have one rifle, which would it be?
That's my answer too.

Good Day Gentlemen!

Last edited:
Its been the powder/component shortages that has had me thinking about the smaller, more efficient, and available cartridges that I already have rifles in. More shots per pound of powder that's more available is becoming more attractive to me than ultimate horsepower at this point.

Especially after seeing these speeds y'all are getting now I'm thinking of not replacing my 300WM that got stolen years ago and doing an '06 instead.

On that note, I've been wondering if anybody's seen a handy table or chart listing the different twists in 30 cal and what modern bullets work in them? That would be super handy while trying to decide on a twist for a project I'm dreaming up.

Last edited:
More shots per pound of powder that's more available is becoming more attractive to me than ultimate horsepower at this point.
That's why I now have a very nice 22LR Rimfire ELR rig, and a 223 AI. More real trigger pulls for a lot lower cost, and the 22LR is a stone-cold bastard for giving honest feedback, there's no cheating in the wind with that thing.

On that note, I've been wondering if anybody's seen a handy table or chart listing the different twists in 30 cal and what modern bullets work in them?
9 twist or 10 twist should handle everything you'd want to shoot except the heaviest 230+gn long range bullets in a non-magnum. 11 twist was standard for a long time, but I haven't seen a drop off in accuracy from running 10s with 150s-220s.

If you want to shoot very light (125gn cup and core bullets) then 13, 15, even 18 twist is what you want, but that's for specialized benchrest rigs like 30BRs.

While I have never had one it's performance is still outstanding even in this day and age
you have a beenmoor but no 30-06... you NEED to change that right quick.
I'm on my 4th 30-06 at present. I've traded a couple good ones away and an average one over the years. This one (m700 lh lss) came to me around 7 years ago as a trade to a lgs that someone did a rather poor job of putting on the rings/ bases on. She also had a bit of stock warp. All in all she couldn't shoot well as she sat. I corrected the issues and it went to 1/2 to 3/4 moa with anything decent down its throat. I have a ss 280 mountain contour barrel ready to put on and chew out for 280ai but I can't bring myself to cut up a perfectly good 30-06.

It's basically a "match" type reamer. The old sammi style has some dimensions that aren't exactly conducive to ultimate accuracy. It was designed by a guy German Salazar, and he used his '06 competitively. It was a little too short for me in the throat, so I used a uni throater to make my mag length rounds "fit".
RIP German.

I have some 208 ELDM's and RL 26, RL17 and even some RL23 on the shelf waiting for testing. I'm starting to consider some H4831 or H4831sc to add for testing. I'm hoping to see some of the new production 215's on the shelf soon.

I have some 208 ELDM's and RL 26, RL17 and even some RL23 on the shelf waiting for testing. I'm starting to consider some H4831 or H4831sc to add for testing. I'm hoping to see some of the new production 215's on the shelf soon.

Curious to see which powder will equal the RL17 in velocity/precision when pushing the 215s.

My original RL17 from the introductory year is dwindling fast...

Curious to see which powder will equal the RL17 in velocity/precision when pushing the 215s.

My original RL17 from the introductory year is dwindling fast...
RL26 seemed to have some good velocities especially with longer barreled 06's. Honestly I was surprised/ happy/ impressed to see your velocities with RL17.

6.5 Staball also gave good reported results with heavier (200 plus) bullets. These new loads are right there with 300 wsm loads and more rounds in the magazine. Hard to beat for hunting applications.

Recent Posts