280AI question????

Elkwonder

Ok, so I ordered a 280AI the other day from Montana rifle company in the new Extreme X2 rifle package. Now I was reading and I see there are all sorts of things about different 280 AI chambering specs. I was just planning on getting Nosler brass and shooting handloads from the very beginning, but now Im wondering if that will work. I think the Nosler brass is made to SAMMI spec, but am unsure if the rifle will come to SAMMI spec. I will call Montana rifle company first thing monday morning, but in the mean time, does anyone know the what chambering, the montana rifle company uses? Thanks in advance

Ok, so I ordered a 280AI the other day from Montana rifle company in the new Extreme X2 rifle package. Now I was reading and I see there are all sorts of things about different 280 AI chambering specs. I was just planning on getting Nosler brass and shooting handloads from the very beginning, but now Im wondering if that will work. I think the Nosler brass is made to SAMMI spec, but am unsure if the rifle will come to SAMMI spec. I will call Montana rifle company first thing monday morning, but in the mean time, does anyone know the what chambering, the montana rifle company uses? Thanks in advance
I think pretty much all reamers and dies have now been swapped over to the SAAMI/Nosler spec (unless someone specifies they want the old original spec Ackley chamber). But a quick call to MRC to verify might not be a bad idea.

I think pretty much all reamers and dies have now been swapped over to the SAAMI/Nosler spec (unless someone specifies they want the old original spec Ackley chamber). But a quick call to MRC to verify might not be a bad idea.

Yes Sir, I plan on that first thing monday, just thought someone here may know. I also read that Cooper has NOT switched over to the SAMMI spec, and doesn't intend to. I can not confirm this, but it was in a post I read a while ago.

There have been a pile of articles and discussions on this. As I understand it, the controversy over the Ackley variants has to do with the 40degree shoulder version, and has to do with where the measurement of length is made (datum line on shoulder) but the short version of the story is the actual chambers are the same, only the method of measuring is different and causing all this fuss. I've seen a couple vids where cutaways of both specs are shown with go gauges in them, and they interchange freely. I have a 280 AI chambered by PacNor using the "new" SAAMI spec, and I use Nosler 280 AI brass with no issues, as they advised me to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.