.280AI Build

I run Gentry muzzle breaks on every rifle. Barrel length is a contributing factor in keeping the muzzle blast away from my head, Gentry throws a lot of the sound down range also. I need to see my hits and compensate on a miss, brakes help in this matter.

22" barrels are VERY LOUD!!

I do not walk in mountains, I hunt out of box stands, or tree stands. So, a 26-27" barrel adds a tad bit of inconvenience for getting the barrel out of the Window of a box stand, that is about it.

If you are looking at longer ranges, such as plains pronghorn, or cross canyon sheep, the 26" will give you another 50 yards reach. With the exception of inside a vehicle, I doubt you will notice the difference 2" might make.

I have a freind that had the same thing going on. He went with a 25"....he practices at 900 yard often and hunts inside that. He likes h4831 powder and 175 acu long range bullets.

For what it is worth, On the last 280ai I built I went with a 26" barrel and it weighs 7lbs 12oz and seems a delight, however I am used to long sendero contour barrels.

Attachments

• 2D4BD723-E692-43E1-91D4-1C1A8CF6779D.jpeg
    2D4BD723-E692-43E1-91D4-1C1A8CF6779D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 96
I have had a couple 280 ai one was 26 one was 24 if you hunt mostly on open country a 26 is ok but you would be surprised how much 2 inches makes when trying to maneuver through dense forest for this I prefer a 24 I have always been the guy that would rather have my rifle shoot one hole groups not how much speed it can deliver but that's just me but you could do like some have mentioned go 26 if don't like it the shorten it just my 2 cents good luck

I love my lightweight custom 280AI with 26" barrel. It is an 8 twist barrel and shoots 180 VLD's and 180 ELD-M bullets great.

I am having a .280AI built right now. This will be my primary rifle for western states hunting including elk, pronghorn and mule deer. I am waffling right now on barrel length. The barrel is a Brux #3 contour. I am torn between 24" or 26". Would I be limiting the caliber too much by going with a 24" barrel? I plan on loading 160gr Accubonds to start.
Definitely go 26"... 2 or 3 ounces you will never feel. And significantly more performance! 280Ai with a 26" barrel will almost match a 7mm mag with less recoil. If your not going 26" then no need for AI... just buy a 280 Remington.

My 280 ai has a 26" with a supressor, I carry it all over the hills, the extra 2 inches doesn't bother me at all. If I was in a truck and had to get out and shoot, it would be way too long! My varmint rifles are also 26" and have no problem hunting with them and a supressor. It's your choice, but like others have said, you can always shorten it.

Can't understand the short barrel in a (long barrel by design) cartridge like 280 AI. Hunting ethics will come into play.
175 at 2950 has 1900 ft lbs out to 400 yds. My 26" AI same wt. projo at just <3100 extends you to 475/500.
2" is not worth an additional ~ 100yds of ethical KZ ?

Like everyone says as long as you arent having it fluted start long shoot it in chrony it and decide if you want to trade a few fps for a few inches then. of course fluting and finishes make some difference there.

I have a 30-06 Ackley, and it originally had a 26" barrel. I used it for a couple of hunting seasons, and then had it cut back to 24". While I like it better with the shorter barrel, I did lose a full 100 fps in muzzle velocity when it was cut back. This is more than I was expecting, but I was still getting very good velocity. I like the feel of the shorter barrel when I carry the rifle round, but the feel was better for shooting when it was longer. Custom rifles I have had built since have all had 24" barrels, and I'm happy with them. I would suggest that since you don't know your preference for barrel length, you don't go by MY preference. Find out what YOUR preference is, and you can do it by having it built with the 26" barrel and see how you like it. Having it cut back and re-crowned shouldn't cost n arm and a leg, and then you'll know what you like best.

I am having a .280AI built right now. This will be my primary rifle for western states hunting including elk, pronghorn and mule deer. I am waffling right now on barrel length. The barrel is a Brux #3 contour. I am torn between 24" or 26". Would I be limiting the caliber too much by going with a 24" barrel? I plan on loading 160gr Accubonds to start.

It boils down to personal preference and intended purpose. My .270 AI has 30" + JP Beenie Cooley MB Lilja 1:8" 3G #6 contour primarily build to propel the 175 Matrix VLD at ~3K FPS for LRH.

.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

Split the difference, I have a fluted 25" Lilja seem to be about right.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.