.280AI Build

Not trying to hijack your post but I'm wanting to get started on my own 280 AI build , I want to keep it light , but balanced with 24" barrel. Anyone care to recommendations on barrel , stock etc. plz PM me , can't figure out how to start my own thread lol.
I built mine off a bighorn SR3 cut for a Wyatt's box, trigger tech diamond, proof straight taper carbon 24' McMillan adjusted game stock. Hell fire sidewinder break. 10 pounds with everything minus the atlas bipod. I'm also have a 300 PRC proof carbon shouldered prefit being chambered right now so it's a switch barrel set up.
C9DE3464-D4D5-4079-80F6-503D1B29BE1C.jpeg
A93FEED0-8674-4279-83E3-3ACCF5FA675F.jpeg

I did exactly that with my full custom build, also with a Lilja barrel. Undecided between 26" or 28", so I went with 27". 😇
I bought mine from a Deputy friend just recently. I remember going to the range years and years ago, with him several times shooting this custom built 280ai. He had Dan Lilja build the rifle for him, apparently they don't do that anymore. As a younger adult, I was awestruck by its beauty and accuracy. Finally after 20 years or so I convinced him to sell me... the Grail!

Can't understand the short barrel in a (long barrel by design) cartridge like 280 AI. Hunting *Rule 1 Violation*s will come into play.
175 at 2950 has 1900 ft lbs out to 400 yds. My 26" AI same wt. projo at just <3100 extends you to 475/500.
2" is not worth an additional ~ 100yds of *Rule 1 Violation*al KZ ?
What is the rule violation 1?

This is a privately owned site. Rule #1 We do not discuss ethics. To do so will result in the post or posts being
edited or deleted.
Infrequent posting and 72 years behind me causes memory lapses - I think but I can't be sure :<)

Just thought I would share with the group that I ended up at 24". I have been doing load work ups and right now my rifle loves 57.9 H4831SC and the 160 Accubonds. I am getting right around 2900fps, but it's also been in the mid 90's the last couple of weekends. It also shoots 60gr very accurately and gets right about 3000fps. My numbers are slightly more consistent with the lower charge, so I figured I would stay down there.

This has been asked before and it seems that lengths went anywhere from 22"-29.5" for the .280AI. Mine wears a 26" Criterion (heavy sporter) and I'll second what keithcandler said about it concerning barrel length and the slower powders.

Keithcandler said it best re powder burn rate. Mean no offense but makes me chuckle every time we pose a concern over barrel length. Did Freud have it right? Base decision on terrain and brush density. If wide open, 26, if denser brush, 24". Animal won't know the difference in velocity when hit.

Keithcandler said it best re powder burn rate. Mean no offense but makes me chuckle every time we pose a concern over barrel length. Did Freud have it right? Base decision on terrain and brush density. If wide open, 26, if denser brush, 24". Animal won't know the difference in velocity when hit.
Hunter won't know the difference when carrying. 😀

I ran into guys with cans running 17"-19" and nothing unusual about seeing 22" where I hunt. Short barrel 280 AI running 140g with 4350 burning rate is awesome.

I usually "set a barrel back" as the leade gets worn or the throat dia starts to open up from wear, initial barrel length gives more latitude in "set backs", IF you have enough barrel shank length to accommodate.

I shot the 155gr TLR last year (same bullet as the Ascent but only one groove instead of two in the shank). I killed an antelope, a large mule deer(see my avatar), and an oryx with this bullet. Only recovered a bullet in the oryx. The BC was spot on to 800 yards and the terminal performance was awesome. Nice big mushroom in the front and the shank intact. I shoot these in my 22" barrel 280AI with a suppressor and am getting 1/2moa right at 3000fps. I will finish what supply of TLR and then switch over to the Terminal Ascent (I have already started stock piling). In my opinion this is the best all round design for a true long range bullet that will work at all ranges consistently. I shot the antelope at 185 yards and the oryx at just over 400 so I cannot say how terminal performance is out to 600 or 800+ yards but based on Federals claims, they have designed these to open at lower velocity than most other hunting bullets. I have always been concerned about long range bullets at closer ranges. This bullet gives me confidence at closer ranges as well as long range. I hope they catch on so others start buying them and Federal keeps making them.
One difference I noticed in the TLR vs TZ: the bc dropped .15 from the TLR to the TA. Could adding one more groove in the shank make that much difference to the bc? I found the TLR bc to be very accurate so the only thing that I can think of to lower the bc is the added groove?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.