280ai clickers

spin-one

I have a 6.5 PRC that developed the dreaded clickers caused by too tight of SAANI tolerance. I have ordered a custom reamer to correct this issue so I am familiar with the problem. I have a semi custom 280ai built off a Winchester model 70. I purchased 100 pieces of Nosler brass because it was all that was available at the time. I fired all 100 at a mid range charge so as to form to my chamber. On the second firing during load development it started getting a slight bolt click. I am using 60.0gr of H4831sc so I am not running too hot of a load. It doesn't make a difference what charge load I use. I am not aware of the 280ai developing a bolt click issue. I have heard the Nosler brass is soft so I was wondering if this could be a factor in developing a slight bolt click?

Thanks
Scott

I understand nobler 280ai brass...only failure I have had....was not finding the of brass on the hillside after I shot my first whitetail....
Everything else has been great....

Sammi spec chamber? I know there are two versions of the 280AI. Thinking that might have something to do with it.
I am no expert and have never had this issue with 280AI. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in!

I have the SAAMI spec. chamber to match my die and brass so I don't think that is the problem. The click isn't very bad and load development was a breeze plus it is shooting lights out. Thanks for your help.

Shooting Barnes Lrx 145 g. I shoot the Barnes LRX in 4 of my other rifles. They have always been easy to load and have always had great results hunting.

A light Clicker isn't bad. I got clickers on my prc that i had to hit my bolt hard with my hand to "pop" it.

In my 270 my nosler brass was done after 2 firings and is wasn't a hot load at all. Pockets were toast. Super soft.

Try find peterson brass if you can. [Like everyone else in the world is trying to do] it is much harder and has worked very well in my 270s

A light Clicker isn't bad. I got clickers on my prc that i had to hit my bolt hard with my hand to "pop" it.

In my 270 my nosler brass was done after 2 firings and is wasn't a hot load at all. Pockets were toast. Super soft.

Try find peterson brass if you can. [Like everyone else in the world is trying to do] it is much harder and has worked very well in my 270s
My PRC was pretty bad luckily my 280ai isn't bad yet. I'm interested to see if this is a problem in the 280ai.

Thanks
Scott

Barnes shows max load at 60.9gr for this bullet. Your load is at 60.0 gr. It is not unusual to hit pressure before max load. Your load is only 0.9 grains below max and some would say pretty warm load. Nosler brass also runs a bit soft so you may be seeing clickers from being close and with Nosler brass. Do you have any other brass to try? I bet Peterson would give you what you want. I would also try different brass before I decided any chamber mods. I really don't think you have a problem other than brass.

E350BF5B-637D-4053-8EEE-C032F515CF37.jpeg