28 Nosler bullet choice

firstcoueswas80

The three I am looking at are the 180 Hybrid, 180 Scenar, and 175 ELD-X.

I used the Hybrid two years ago in my, now goen 7 LRM. It killed the deer but I wasnt to impressed but that could have been a slew of issues. I saw another deer get killed with a different rifle, but **** near exact same load, speed, etc and was impressed.

Used the 180 Scenar in 2015. I did not kill a deer, but my buddy shot a big bodied (for a coues deer) at 342 yards. It dropped on the spot with no exit (facing us). I dont know how to feel about that shot. No exit, no blood, hell we couldnt even find the entrance until we skinned him, but DRT.

The new 175 ELD-X I like the looks of but havent read much about it it on game.

I will likely be short on time to reload before the season as it is at the smith being turned from a 7 LRM into a 28 Nosler. I have 20# of H1000 on hand so that will be the powder.

Primary target for now is coues deer, with elk, antelope and mule deer likely in my future in Wyoming.

Can't go wrong with your choices, especially the eld-x... My experience is if you can get a hornady, nosler, or sierra to fill your needs, use that bullet... I am working with the 175 eld'x in my 7stw @ present. It looks like it will shoot well...

My two favorite bullets are the 195 Berger and the 175 Nosler ABLR. Both will shoot .5moa out of my 28Nosler. I recently put the ABLR through it's paces. It held up real well. My worry with the 28Nosler is close in impacts and reliable expansion way out. I've seen other tests with ELDs; They don't hold up when pushed past 3000fps. They are aren't bonded. I'll be testing the 195 Berger soon as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 170
Boman,
My 28 is built on a Win 70 CRF previously in 300RUM. 27" Benchmark fluted #4. Farrell 20moa rail and a VX6 3x18, TMOA reticle and ZL CDS dial. I bedded it in a Win 70 express stock as well as an older Micky M40 style stock. I have a good brake on it as well. I would not want to shoot more than a few rounds with out it! I kept the original trigger but I stoned it and installed a lighter spring. It breaks at a crisp 2.5lbs. I can shoot the gun as light as 9.5 lbs or as heavy 11lbs depending which stock, scope and rail are mounted. I have it throated to shoot the 195 Bergers at 3.6" and the 175ABLRs at 3.48"( .065" off the lands) to max the stock mag box. The 175ABLRs are moving at 3200 fps and the 195Bergers at 3100fps.
I'm very pleased with rifle. It shoots .5moa all the way out and I've made first round hits at 500,550, 634, 700, 784yds. I'm taking it out to a 1K tomorrow.

Attachments

• 28Nosler1.jpg
    28Nosler1.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 28target.png
    28target.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 185
  • New stock.jpg
    New stock.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 190
That's a great build there. I like that you built in versatility and function with the different stocks. Look forward to seeing more results

My two favorite bullets are the 195 Berger and the 175 Nosler ABLR. Both will shoot .5moa out of my 28Nosler. I recently put the ABLR through it's paces. It held up real well. My worry with the 28Nosler is close in impacts and reliable expansion way out. I've seen other tests with ELDs; They don't hold up when pushed past 3000fps. They are aren't bonded. I'll be testing the 195 Berger soon as well.

What distance/ impact velocities for the recovered bullets?
100 yards I guess ????

Casey,

I'd stick with the 180 Berger. You didn't specify VLD or hybrid. If you haven't loaded for your new 28 Nosler I'd go with the 180 hybrid as it is seating depth friendly. If it shoots well in your rifle use it again.

some results with the 180 Hybrid :

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/anyone-using-7mm-180gr-berger-hybrids-game-89928/

Berger 7mm 180gr hybrid game results?

-----------
If for some reason the 180 hybrid target has you doubtful, Berger just announced they have a new hunting bullet the 175 elite hunter bullet, which is also a hybrid. It is on sale. BC: G1 .656. G7 .336.
It is in stock here:

Bullets.com®)

I just shot a big bodied white tail buck this weekend with a 162 ELD-X from my 7mm rem mag. Velocity was 2950, the range 75 yards, and the shot placement right in the middle of the shoulder.

I can tell you that the buck dropped instantly, and the bullet penetrated both shoulders but separated from the jacket and fragmented all over the far side of the shoulder. I recovered the jacket under the hide with chunks of lead all around it.

The bullet absolutely worked but did not stay together after hitting shoulder bones. At high velocity I would not be shooting an Elk in the shoulder with and ELD-X!

I just shot a nice Alberta mule deer with my 6.5 creedmoor using the hornady 143eldx. MV was 2785 and the shot was broadside at 115 yds. The first shot hit right behind the shoulder, the deer hunched up and continued walking, the second shot hit right beside the first one with the same reac ion. Finally he turns and starts angling away and I shoot him right in front of the hind quarter to angle up through the vitals and he finally dropped. Upon examination, none of the bullets expanded violently, perhaps because I didn't really hit any bone other than a few ribs.

The three I am looking at are the 180 Hybrid, 180 Scenar, and 175 ELD-X.

I used the Hybrid two years ago in my, now goen 7 LRM. It killed the deer but I wasnt to impressed but that could have been a slew of issues. I saw another deer get killed with a different rifle, but **** near exact same load, speed, etc and was impressed.

Used the 180 Scenar in 2015. I did not kill a deer, but my buddy shot a big bodied (for a coues deer) at 342 yards. It dropped on the spot with no exit (facing us). I dont know how to feel about that shot. No exit, no blood, hell we couldnt even find the entrance until we skinned him, but DRT.

The new 175 ELD-X I like the looks of but havent read much about it it on game.

I will likely be short on time to reload before the season as it is at the smith being turned from a 7 LRM into a 28 Nosler. I have 20# of H1000 on hand so that will be the powder.

Primary target for now is coues deer, with elk, antelope and mule deer likely in my future in Wyoming.
A straight on chest shot with the animal looking at you isn't going to generally result in an exit wound with a bullet that tracks true unless it's a solid.

The most important thing is bullet placement. Don't shoot for the shoulders with a frangible bullet and don't try for a lung shot with a bullet that doesn't expand. Either one can result in the animal running a long way with little or no blood trail to follow until they've traveled some distance.

I prefer a bonded bullet and won't try for a heart/lung shot on an animal unless it's facing me straight on. In the case of the latter if the bullet tracks true the animal's blood pressure will bottom out in seconds and they will go down. Nearly every animal I've shot in such a manner has gone down within a few yards of where they were standing and most simply stood there looking as though they were in shock and then collapsed.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts