280ai bullet choice

killitgrillit

Howdy all,
Building a 280ai for white tails in GA, and antelope and mule deer out west, 600yds max distance, wanting to use hodgon temp stable powders. Looking for an all around bullet to do all and looking for advice/experience on what to go with. Manufacture, style and weight. Thx for any info
Barrel is bartlin 1-8.7 twist 5r 24" on lone peak razor ti action, Huber trigger, Mcmilly stock

Howdy all,
Building a 280ai for white tails in GA, and antelope and mule deer out west, 600yds max distance, wanting to use hodgon temp stable powders. Looking for an all around bullet to do all and looking for advice/experience on what to go with. Manufacture, style and weight. Thx for any info
Barrel is bartlin 1-8.7 twist 5r 24" on lone peak razor ti action, Huber trigger, Mcmilly stock
Berger 175 Elite Hunters will do the trick well for both whitetails and mulies at that distance, and farther.

Howdy all,

I've been using 160gr AB in my 280AI and that covers from elk to antelope. I haven't shot white tail yet but we do have them here in Co.

I tried out the 162 ELDX, and now am getting ready to load the 145 Barnes LRX. My rifle has always liked 140 triple shock Barnes, hunting deer and moose. I have a 9.5 twist so can't go to the heavy end of bullet choices (would want bigger case capacity anyway) but the 140 range has been a killer. There is now a 150 ELDX that I wouldnt mind trying out.

+1 for the Berger 140 HVLD 1 shot kills on Elk Deer and Antelope
H4831sc was the best powder I tried out of 6 kinds in 2 diff. 280AI's

My 280AI is build on a Rem 700 action and a custom 25" heavier barrel. I found that mine shot almost everything better than expected right from the beginning. Even the Factory 280 Rem cartridges i shot thru it to fireform the brass into 280AI, shot 10 shot 1" groups.

At the time, i had some IMR 4350 so working with 140 Nosler Combined Tech bullets, i slowly worked up with more and more powder until the velocity 10' from the tube was well over 3200 FPS, 1/2 to 3/4" groups, but not showing signs of too much pressure. That was thru my rifle, yours might not be so easy. I've been hunting that combo thru my rifle, did change to Accubonds, ever since and I'm well satisfied.

To me, the 280AI is an iconic deer cartridge, about as energy efficient a cartridge as you can get. It was often preferred for open country hunting by many of the so called "experts and noted marksmen" of days gone past and for good reason.

I hope that you like yours

I run a 26" 8 twist Krieger with 168gr. Berger CH over 59.5gr. RL23 for 2990 fps. I used to load RL26, but found it not to be so stable (about like RL22 but more velocity), RL23 gave me the best of both worlds. I love my 280AI. . .almost pure perfection!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.