270 Sherman Shortmag in the works

Idaho Trecker

After building the long action 270 Sherman I decided to build the "little" brother. After my fiasco with brux (another thread on that later) my #3 fluted 1:8 twist was finally delivered to my smith. Now begins the waiting game for the smith. I have high hopes for this cartridge after seeing the results of the 6.5 and 7 SS. I know I won't be disappointed. In the mean time I've aquired 200 count of norma 300 saum brass and neck turner to start the case forming process. I'm doing this build as a lightweight pack rifle that my girlfriend can also use so it will have a brake on it (probably mini mag muscle). Guess I should mention it will be on a rem 700 and will be wearing a zeiss 4.4-14x50 after load development. During development it will have a nightforce 5.5-22x56.

Just thought I would get a thread started for this. I'll add to it as the rifle is completed and load development starts.

After building the long action 270 Sherman I decided to build the "little" brother. After my fiasco with brux (another thread on that later) my #3 fluted 1:8 twist was finally delivered to my smith. Now begins the waiting game for the smith. I have high hopes for this cartridge after seeing the results of the 6.5 and 7 SS. I know I won't be disappointed. In the mean time I've aquired 200 count of norma 300 saum brass and neck turner to start the case forming process. I'm doing this build as a lightweight pack rifle that my girlfriend can also use so it will have a brake on it (probably mini mag muscle). Guess I should mention it will be on a rem 700 and will be wearing a zeiss 4.4-14x50 after load development. During development it will have a nightforce 5.5-22x56.

Just thought I would get a thread started for this. I'll add to it as the rifle is completed and load development starts.

Cool!

Hi Ryan......You should have your dies today, I would guess. I am eager to see this one! I don't think you will have ANY trouble exceeding 3200'. RL26 should really shine in it........Rich

I have a used up 270 AM barrel that could use a bit of an attitude adjustment.

Kinda think'n the 270 ss would be a reasonable choice. She ought to finish somewhere around 27 or 28 inches.

I was going to send it to Dillon when I got a round-to-it. It may be time to do it.:)

Hi Ryan......You should have your dies today, I would guess. I am eager to see this one! I don't think you will have ANY trouble exceeding 3200'. RL26 should really shine in it........Rich

I'm stoked for this build! I'll give the smith a call next week if I'm not on a fire and see if I can get a more difinitive timeline. If not then I might have you make a contact for me. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks again for all your help!

Looking forward to you getting it together, I heard rumblings of the 170 gr Berger EOL getting out so considering what the 7 SS is running 168's and you put a .703 BC 270 bullet behind it or the proven awesomeness of the 165 Matrix and it's good times gun)http://www.longrangehunting.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I've been waiting (not patiently) for the mystic 170 to appear but it's supposed to be after the 7mm 195 which is still a unicorn. The 165 matrix has been doing great in my 270 sherman. Just need the smith to get to my project but not looking good since my brux fiasco took so long.

I have a used up 270 AM barrel that could use a bit of an attitude adjustment.

Kinda think'n the 270 ss would be a reasonable choice. She ought to finish somewhere around 27 or 28 inches.

I was going to send it to Dillon when I got a round-to-it. It may be time to do it.:)

Little more than just an attitude adjustment from the Allen mag... more like serious case of being bipolar haha it should be a great round. What contour barrel would you be using? You might regret selling me that box of 165 matrix this spring... you'll have to get back into them again. I'm considering trying some of the 150 grain flat base bonded matrix for the "close" work.

Little more than just an attitude adjustment from the Allen mag... more like serious case of being bipolar haha it should be a great round. What contour barrel would you be using? You might regret selling me that box of 165 matrix this spring... you'll have to get back into them again. I'm considering trying some of the 150 grain flat base bonded matrix for the "close" work.

The barrel is a heavy clunker. 1.25" at the chamber end and 0.815 at the other end.

I'm figuring with the barrel weight I should be able to not install a brake and get along pretty decent. Or I could leave the threads and do the suppressor thing….

The 8 twist barrel will be able to stabilize any bullet any one comes up with, wouldn't ya think?:) It didn't do so good with 195 WCs and towards the end of barrel life would stabilize any bullet beyond 950 yards. She shot sweet out to that distance but a few yards beyond things went bonkers. Thus I took the hack saw to it to prevent any further frustration. :rolleyes:

Here is a formed 270 SS and an unformed both with a 165 matrix seated at 2.960".

20150820_091928.jpg

I'm getting closer to having the rifle put together. All my parts are at the smith's now and I'm hoping to have it before September is gone.

That one of the sweetest things I've seen, being a 270 guy it was painful to build that 7 SS for Rich before a 270 had been done!!!

I understand that feeling but I'm ok since I'll be the first to have one done. It will be interesting to have both of Rich's designs in 270 and compare them. I'm going to play with RL26 and 33 to start in the SS. I'm also going to be trying 26 again in my 270 sherman.

Just thought I'd give a quick update on the project...Well September has come and gone and still waiting on a neck reamer from PTG but after that should be up and running shortly. In the meantime I'm running my 270 Sherman through the paces.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.