Sherman shortmag shooters

elkaholic

Hi guys. There are getting to be more of you each week so I thought it would be good to update some data. Whether you shoot a 6.5, 7, or ??, would you please post your best loads and top velocity (Max) loads as well. Pics are always nice. I tried some HBN for the first time in my 6.5 and found that velocity dropped about 50'/sec. This was no surprise because the bore is slicker! I was shooting the 150 Matrix with 61.5 grains H1000 @3104' and 2.950 coal. I shot this group today at 1100 yards. I plan to shoot the 143 ELDX at distance soon, with some HBN as well. I have shot some .o's and point 1's at 100 yards with them, before HBN, with 61.5 grains H1000 at 3155' They also shot very well with 62.4 grains at 3207. RL26 works very well and will reach 3300' with the 143's, but shoots very well with 60 grains at 3200 and change......Rich
6.5ss @ 1100 yards 150 Matrix (HBN).jpg
I would also encourage you to visit (Vestals Gunsmithing) on Facebook and comment on his Sherman Shortmag post. You can include data and comments there as well.....thanks/Rich

Rich,

Can't wait til I have some info to report. About 6 more weeks the way it is looking!

Nice group by the way. I have my money on the ELD when you shoot the same distance gun)

Ray

Here is another group (load) that I shot this a.m. The wind was just a little more of a problem than yesterday, but pretty good conditions. It is strange but the group was identical in size to yesterdays with the Matrix. The group was 5 1/2" which is .477 moa. I was 1 moa high so got off the target a little.......Rich
6.5SS 143eldx @ 1100 yds..jpg

Very nice shooting Rich!

Would you have to give the Matrix the edge, considering it is heavier bullet?

Ray

Not necessarily. You can start the 143 with a higher muzzle velocity and the b.c. is SLIGHTLY higher at .316 vs .310. I think it depends a lot on the individual rifle as to which one you shoot. Both bullets work very well in my 6.5's. The ELDX will likely expand better at the really long ranges, but the Matrix gave me really good penetration and tissue damage at close to mid range. I think after some more game is taken this year, people will be able to make a decision as to which one they like. I know I like the Matrix because we have taken game with them......Rich

Here are the numbers between the 2 loads that I listed at 1100 yards:

150 Matrix.....mv=3104.......drop=24.0 moa.......drift at 10mph=5.0.......velocity=1813......energy=1095 ft/lbs
143ELDX.......mv=3190.......drop=22.3 moa.......drift at 10mph=4.7.......velocity=1900......energy=1202 ft/lbs

Rich,

I like the fact that the 143's have 1.7 moa less drop at that distance and a 100 ft/lb's more energy.

You are saving me a whole lot of barrel life with these tests. Very much appreciated!

Ray

Rich,

I like the fact that the 143's have 1.7 moa less drop at that distance and a 100 ft/lb's more energy.

You are saving me a whole lot of barrel life with these tests. Very much appreciated!

Ray

No problem, just put the $$ you saved in the cookie jar and when I need a new barrel, I'll call:D:D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.