270 Sherman Shortmag (SS)

I scratched the itchy trigger finger on a small mule deer buck yesterday and made the first kill with the SS. He was only 394 yards and tiny but the way this season has gone for me i couldnt pass it up. The deer was just slightly quartering away from me and the entry was just behind the shoulder on my side and right through the off shoulder. The 165 did a great job at that close/medium distance on the small deer. Completely destroyed the lungs and had a golf ball sized exit. I was very pleased with the results.
Now to spend some real time looking for a big whitetail...

20151107_083053.jpg

20151107_083356.jpg

20151107_082912.jpg

I'm not sure on the length off hand and won't be home til the end of the week to measure them. Maybe another 165 matrix shooter here can get you an answer sooner. If not I'll let you k ow when I get home.

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded stocks again with a Manners EH 2 to lighten it up even more and get the higher comb without having to add a comb-raiser. Just for fun I also threw on a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x50 with the rapid z-800 reticle held on by Talley ringmounts. After putting the barreled action in the Manners the weight of rifle alone is 6 pounds 9 ounces. With the Talley rings and Zeiss it comes in at 8 pounds 2 ounces now which will be very nice to pack long distance.

20151205_191759.jpg
20151205_191347.jpg
20151205_191410.jpg

I took a couple pictures but not the best quality inside with my poor lighting.

I couldnt help myself and had to take it out and put one through the tube after cutting my x-mas tree today. Bore sighted it real quick by pulling the bolt picking a target in distance to fit bore and adjusted the cross hairs. This usually gets me within few inches at 100 yards. Well this is what happened...
20151205_191607.jpg

Probably couldnt do that again if i tried :)

Since my last post I have had to increase my load to get my speed and accuracy to a more acceptable level. Now the 165 is being pushed by 62 grains of RL 26. Havent been able to chrono the load yet but guessing it is around 2960 fps.

After the 170 Berger actually ship and I get a chance to test them for best accuracy to get the COAL I will be ordering different bottom metal and magazine. Probably will go with the Oberndorf canoe style with the 3.110" inside length.

VERY nice Ryan! I was just looking on line at parts for my super light build including titanium action. I am thinking possibly an EH-5 thumbhole? It is a LITTLE heavier but I really like it.......Rich
p.s. SOME bore sighting job!

I sure wish I could have afforded that titanium action... only takes money haha
To date this is my lightest rifle and I dont know if there is anyway to make it any lighter without shelling out lots of money for a pound or so. I suppose shortening the barrel to 20" or so would drop a few ounces but I'd rather have the few ounces for the speed gained.
The idea behind the folding stock is a good one but how often would you really have it folded??? Seems like it wouldnt fit in many cases folded and if its unfolded all the time it may not be worth it.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what components you go with for your lightweight build.

Sure hope the estimated ship date for those 170 Berger doesnt get pushed back again...

That's a great looking rifle - I've been looking at the Talley mounts, just curious what height you went with for the 50mm objective and a heavier barrel? I've got a Vortex HST with 50mm objective and a light palma contour.

Originally I went with the lows but they wouldn't work as they wouldn't clear the barrel. These are mediums and sit about perfect. The pictures are deceiving and the barrel looks big but it's pretty small being a #3 contour. The outside diameter of the objective on the new conquest hd5 is almost 1/10" larger than the original conquest with 50mm objective.
Here is a picture of my clearance now
20151207_182154.jpg

Made a trip out to shoot a group with the new stock setup this morning since its the first day in a week the rain let up. I was hoping for better results but not so... however I was able to get some other valuable information out of the rifle. My 200 yard, 3 shot group with the 62 grains of RL 26 was a pitiful 3.5". I'm going to attribute this to the stock. I am sort of disappointed in the way the barreled action sits in the manners. The barrel sits to the left side of the channel which means something needs relieved in the action area I believe. Also, I have not bedded this yet which should help. The other think I noticed is that the timney trigger is almost touching on the left side of the trigger (another hint something needs relieved). I have finally convinced myself that whatever my Chrony tells me I need to add about 120fps to it (Chrony is going bye bye). My 3 shots read 2954, 2923, 2904 fps. Not very impressive really since my load is on the upper end.

Now for the good piece of info I got out of shooting this morning... After picking a football sized clump of wheat stubble in a plowed field of mud and using a combo of dialing and holding 28.5 MOA for the 1099 yards I let it fly. The results.... I held a little to much for the 3-4mph right to left crosswind and impacted right and 3 MOA high!
I played with my speed to give me 3 moa less drop and came up with 3070 fps. I dialed down 3 moa and sent another which impacted only a foot or so left of the wheat clump!
Even if the right to left wind gave me an estimated 6" less drop (.3x21" wind drift) this still puts my trued velocity at 3050 FPS!!! Not to shabby for a 24" barrel and a 165 Matrix.

Next thing is to get the stock relieved and bedded to get my good groups back. Hopefully I'll have more to report after a few days...

PS...... My 170 grain Berger's shipped and will be in hand this coming Monday!!!!:)

Too bad about the stock, but you may be able to correct that with bedding.
As far as the velocity goes, I would be very surprised if you are not in the upper 3000's. Compared to other SS builds, your crony readings do not match up. Example: I get 2960 with 60 grs rl26 behind a 180 in my 7 and 62 grs. maxes me out at 3070'. That is in a 26" barrel. You have 15 grs. less bullet in only a .007" less diameter barrel. 59 grs. in my 6.5 behind a 150 gives me very close to 3100'. There are other builds around which back this up as well. I THINK YOU NEED A MAGNETOSPEED:D.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.