.270 and Elk hunting

I agree with most of the replies. Any controlled expansion bullet 140-150 will do the job under 300 yards. Stay away from Berger and A-max at these ranges.

the 270 is a classic, the nosler partition is to.There are so many well made bullets these days.My go to is a 270 win as well, Plan on trying the Matrix bullets next, for my own curiosity though.Welcome and good luck

After killing tuck loads of elk with a 270 or 270 WSM the 165 Matrix is the best all round but if you don't have elevation a guy may not stabilize it in a 1-10 twist at my elevation I can. I've shot a number of elk with the 140 Accubond and 140 Berger when I first started shooting Bergers and I'd put first round on with the Accubond then the second with the 140 Berger if needed and on a couple elk I got side by side performance comparison with both bullets in the same animal, haven't shot Accubonds in years!
Don't see Speer recommended much but in the 130 gr the hot core and the grand slams are really excellent, my buddy loads both the 165 Matrix and the 130 grand slams depending on the shot he has and I've seen him violate a lot of elk with the 130's!!

Why not try the accubond lr in 150 g? I loaded some for a buddy in 270 wsm he killed a bull at 250 yards and a cow at 600 yards both dead within 10 yards.

My dad shoots a .270 exclusively. He has had great success with both 140 and 150 class hornaday sst's. Between 50 yards and 550 they have been DRT.

I would load up the Barnes 130 TTSX and the Nosler 140 Accubond, and then hunt with the bullet that the rifle shoots more accurately.

When I know my shots will be at 300 yds or less, I ignore the BC of a bullet and go strictly off terminal results performance. I have found it hard to be the Barnes TSX or tipped TSX. Total reliability and expansion.
I second the barnes TSX and TTsx bullets. Also with the barnes you use 130 grain ,because great expansion and less bullet terminal loss. I have used them allthe time and my rifle prefers the 130 grain. Good Luck on your hunt!

140 accubond is a good middle of the road bullet. I took a cow at 360 last year with one she didn't take two steps and went down.

165 Matrix gets the long range vote. But depending on where you live (like me) it took a different barrel.
On the opposite side of spectrum Barnes TSX gets the vote. I have some LRX that I need to load up, just for a little less required velocity for expansion.

140 accubond is a good middle of the road bullet. I took a cow at 360 last year with one she didn't take two steps and went down.
I have to use copper bullets here in California. Barnes, Hornady, and Nosler are making copper bullets. I get good results with all these brands. Barnes has been making them for years. :)

129 LRX might just be the ticket, although I gave up trying to make a 7mag out of my 270. Perception over performance I reckon.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.