.270 and Elk hunting

jpwillia

Hey guys, new here .
I am going to start reloading for my .270 for Elk. Just wondering what the optimum bullet would be. Probably out to 300 yards. I am looking at the Nosler 150 gr partition. But I see they also have a 160 gr partition. Any real world experience with these? Any other bullets I should be considering? Appreciate it! Joe

When I know my shots will be at 300 yds or less, I ignore the BC of a bullet and go strictly off terminal results performance. I have found it hard to be the Barnes TSX or tipped TSX. Total reliability and expansion.

Hey guys, new here .
I am going to start reloading for my .270 for Elk. Just wondering what the optimum bullet would be. Probably out to 300 yards. I am looking at the Nosler 150 gr partition. But I see they also have a 160 gr partition. Any real world experience with these? Any other bullets I should be considering? Appreciate it! Joe

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Depending on your barrel twist and altitude, if you can stabilize them, check out the Matrix 165 and 175 VLDs.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Depending on your barrel twist and altitude, if you can stabilize them, check out the Matrix 165 and 175 VLDs.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.
or Matrix 150

+1 on the Barnes

I have used Hornady Interbonds 150gr for Kudu and it was all instant kills. Nosler Accubonds is of the same qaulity. What was amazing on one of the bullets recovered was that the retaining weight was 84%, but even more amazing was the mushroom. It was an incredible 16.8mm in diameter. Taken that the 270 bullet is a 6.8mm bullet this is nearly 3 times the original bullet diameter. On the few 130gr Barnes TSX bullets that I recovered, the diameter of the mushroom was only 12-12.5mm. I prefer the Interbonds or Accubonds because it give a larger diameter mushroom which allows for a larger bleeding channel and subsequent quick kill.

The 150 Nosler partition is a really good bullet on game. Check out the attached lots of good options out there for the 270.

.270 Winchester

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Killed my first Elk with a 270 Win

WW Brass
150gr Part Nosler
Reloader 22
Fed 210m primer

Deader than a door nail @ 200 yards

I think the 160gr is to heavy for the 270 Win

Optimum bullet performance 130/140 and 150gr. For deer/sheep/antelope 130gr for heavier game elk/moose/bear the 150's
Read about the 270 Win by O'Connor....... The newer 140's kinda in the middle for light/heavier game........or just use one bullet the 150gr Nosler Part for all game.

My vote goes to the Nosler 150 Gr. Partition too. There is many bullets that will do a great job if you can take the shot with a perfect broadside position. Hide, meat and bone is less than 2 inches thick on a fat elk, and the bullet is in the boiler room. But turn the angle to coming in facing like a bull approaching to a call. Or quartering away going into black timber right at daylight is a whole different ball game. I have killed several animal from white tail deer to moose with Nosler Part. Bullets, I have only recovered 2 bullets, One from a tree after going through a black bear, The other from a New Mexico bull elk, from shoulder after 4 ft. of angled penetration. I have a box of old 160 gr. Nosler partition with the machined grove dating into the 1960's they have very little ogive, nearly round nose. Make sure whatever bullet you use is accurate out of your rifle. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

The rifle is a pre 64 model 70 win. The scope is yet to be determined. Right now it has an old redfield 3x9. However I am definately going to replace it .Seriously contemplating the luepold vx6 3x18. Looks like I am going to start out with the 150 gr partitions. Again, thanks! Joe

When my family and I moved to MT, I started loading the 3 270s that my wife, daughter and son shoot with 150 grn partitions due to the fact that Partitions never fail.
My family had good luck on the elk and the 150 partition worked well on the elk. The weird thing is the elk rarely acted like they had been hit, but they still died nicely.
We switched to the 140 grn accubond and the results were the elk would falter on impact and die a little faster than the 150s.
The 140s fly a little faster and seem to hit the animal harder than the partitions and killed them just as well. I think we will stick with the accubonds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.