.270 win recipe for hunting elk

I'm running the 140 game changer at 3140 with a grain off where I see a faint shiny spot. with Rl26.
I just got this tonight if you have a 9 or faster twist I think it will be a great bullet for all game

I'm running the 140 game changer at 3140 with a grain off where I see a faint shiny spot. with Rl26.
I just got this tonight if you have a 9 or faster twist I think it will be a great bullet for all game
**And NEEDS a 1 in 9" or faster twist.

Last edited:
I have shot elk with 150 gr. Hornady interlock spire point. I have some loaded with RL-19 and IMR 4350, they are very accurate with both powders, 1/4" or less at 100 yards it I do my part. My charge of RL-19 runs 2850 fps, I can load hotter but accuracy drops. With IMR 4350 I'm getting 2936 fps., this is listed as a max charge in my newest Hornady manual. I think any good 150 gr. bullet will do the job if you do yours. Nosler partions and Swift A-frames would probably be the best choses.

I haven't shot my 270Win for elk in a while (since I got my 8mm Rem mag) but I killed elk with Barnes 140 TSX and AA3100. Not sure if AA3100 is still around so I might need to breakout the 270 and work up some new loads myself. I always felt the 140gr was a good bullet for my deer and elk.

Not sure of your reloading experience @GJB89 but you just cant load up someone else's recipe, this is one reason why I do not give out load data, the other reason is they wont work in your rifle, they are all worked up in other peoples rifles at there set OAL's!!

Pick a powder that's recommended, pick a projectile that's recommended & start working up ;)

I have been reloading for 13 years and I would never start off with an initial load that someone worked up. It is strictly for getting an idea of real-world loads instead of using the minimum and maximum weights recommendations manufactures put out.

I have been reloading for 13 years and I would never start off with an initial load that someone worked up. It is strictly for getting an idea of real-world loads instead of using the minimum and maximum weights recommendations manufactures put out.

With 12 posts under your belt & the way you write its hard to tell where your knowledge lies??

I also follow manufacturers data, but yes I will stretch it out if I follow all the right signs, meaning I know what the signs are!

Its not anything personal obviously as I have no idea who you are but its a bit of a sticking point with me & don't get why people find the need to ask.

I've been reloading for about the same as you & yet have never had to ask for other peoples load data, I don't really care what anyone else is doing with their loads because I know it has no impact on my rifle & set up!

Sure I get that you may ask for advice on a projectile or what powder but never understood why people ask for load data apart from just laziness.

Last edited:
Anyone have a tried and true recipe for the .270 win that will be adequate for taking an elk?
I've hunted and killed many elk and mule deer with my 270, I'm a big fan. I use the Nosler Custom 140grn Accubonds, never more than one shot out to 550 yards on elk. moving at 3000fps.

If someone told me I had to hunt elk with my 270, I would grab a box of 140g Swift A Frames and load them on top of one grain under max H-4831. I sent one diagonally thru this bull in the Yukon from the inside of the front shoulder and picked it out just in the off side ham. That would do it.

C73B9736-5ADF-4B9B-957D-ED611E7F8F09.jpeg

6588E0D2-8292-4ADC-9930-4277A8F0076E.jpeg

A Frame on the right. 140g Nosler Ballistic Tip I dug out of my sheep on the left.

150gr bullets worked best for us. Yes the 130gr is pushed faster but still found the 150gr penetrated more and on an elk you want penetration especially after breaking bone. A 150gr Accubond would be my choice.

Of course if we were discussing a .270CM it would be good enough for griz.

Otherwise 145 ELD-X at 3100 with RL26 24" barrel should do the trick as well. I have to say this is the first ELD-X bullet that has shot worth a darn in any of my rifles at 3/4" at 200 yards.

I prefer the 140 accubonds over anything else 270 Winchester related. They kill deer bear elk and so on just fine. I always went 58 grains of H4831

130 gr partition 56-60gr. of H4831 I shoot 58 grains at 3000 fps. 150 gr partition with 56 grains at around 2850 fps.
Or 130 gr TSX or TTSX I shoot 60 grains and get around 3150 fps.

TTSX and TSX are great bullets with slightly lower pressures and better velocity. Partitions are as proven as it gets. All will work great to around 500 yards and the bullets are tough.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.