.270 win recipe for hunting elk

GJB89

Anyone have a tried and true recipe for the .270 win that will be adequate for taking an elk?

I used a 130 nosler accubond going at just shy of 3200 with reloder 26 for white tails. That load would kill any deer species in the world. But I also had really good luck with a 130 and h4831sc. Loaded them to about 3100.

Last edited:
When I hunted with my 270, I found that the 130 class bullets worked best for white tails and the 150 class of bullets worked best for me on Elk. There were several choices of brands that worked well for both uses and some that didn't and Performed poorly. with the newer line of bullets, it should be easy to find one for ether use and with the added powders we now have it should be even easier to find a good load.

J E CUSTOM

Anyone have a tried and true recipe for the .270 win that will be adequate for taking an elk?
My best 270 win load is a 150 berger with 57.3gr. rl-23 in norma brass seated at the lands with a br-2 primer 3027fps with a 24 inch barrel but if I were going after elk with this rifle I would look at a barnes, hammer or a bonded bullet just in case I had a raking shot

Second this option. I shoot the 129 LRX over H4831 in a couple of different .270 win rifles. You should get 2975-3050 depending on your barrel length. Killed mule deer and moose with 127 and 129 gr lrx bullets. Should work for elk

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.