.265 cal vs .284

Based in your criteria, I think the 6.5 fits the bill best, largely because if the broad range of excellent bullets available. While my primary hunting rifle is a 6.5x284 for medium game to 1000+yards, the 6.5 CM, 260, or 6.5x47 are all excellent rounds for medium range hunting 600-700 yards. As others have noted, I'm also partial to the 6.5x47. It's superbly accurate, easy to reload using the excellent Lapua brass, and delivers better then 20 reloads/case.

Based in your criteria, I think the 6.5 fits the bill best, largely because if the broad range of excellent bullets available. While my primary hunting rifle is a 6.5x284 for medium game to 1000+yards, the 6.5 CM, 260, or 6.5x47 are all excellent rounds for medium range hunting 600-700 yards. As others have noted, I'm also partial to the 6.5x47. It's superbly accurate, easy to reload using the excellent Lapua brass, and delivers better then 20 reloads/case.
Me too on the 6.5X47.

Another vote for 6.5x47 based upon your needs. It's a very accurate round with little recoil. If you want the ability to buy factory rounds, the 6.5 CM is your ticket.
The 6.5 PRC also offers factory ammo and I believe the selection will only grow in the coming years. I also have a 6.5-284 and it's a fantastic cartridge. Very accurate. Both of these can be built on medium to long actions.

I have both. I favor 7mm-08 for Mule Deer and Elk with 145+gr Barnes LRX bullets and 6.5 CM and .260 for deer and antelope with 142 gr. Nosler ABLR--but that's just my druthers--loaded right they'll all do the job. Concerning barrel length, the 7mm-08 seems to lose less fps per inch cut compared to the 6.5. I have a Fierce Firearms CT Edge in 7-08 with 22" Barrel and get 2844 fps out of that with the 145 Barnes LRX, SAKO 85 in .260 Rem with 22" barrel and get 2820 out of the 142 NOS ABLR and get 2700 out of the Fierce CT Edge 6.5 CM with 142 Nos ABLR with 20"

If you want to put a lot of rounds down range while target shooting and kill a few hogs and deer occasionally inside of 500yds, then a 6.5 creedmoor would fit the bill. I think the 6.5 PRC better suits me because I don't target shoot in high volume. Of the 6.5s I like the 6.5 Saum best for what I do. I am a die hard fan of the 7mm for hunting. The 284 Winchester would suit you very well for your needs and I would favor it over the 6.5 creedmoor in your situation if cost wasn't a factor, but the creedmoor will be more cost effective.

How do you like the 6.5x284? I've looked at it also.is it capable to ek hunt with as well in the future?
[/QUOTE]
Like ol' Greyfox said....
Very good round...shoots good...
I am using rl26 in New rifle and rl23 in my older rifle....seem to build carbon ring quickly....keep'm clean....shoot'm down....

In your price range with the requirements you laid out, it's gonna be really hard to beat a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor. In my subjective opinion Tikkas have the smoothest actions of any factory rifle until you hit custom level pricing. Their 6.5 Creedmoor is properly spec'd with an 8 twist and comes with their m+ magazine to allow longer Coal. It can also be had with their standard 22.4" barrel, a longer 24.3", or a 20" in the CTR model. You can also change the grip on the synthetic stocks to a vertical style, which I prefer. Europtic usually has good prices on them and also have sales frequently.

In your price range with the requirements you laid out, it's gonna be really hard to beat a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor. In my subjective opinion Tikkas have the smoothest actions of any factory rifle until you hit custom level pricing. Their 6.5 Creedmoor is properly spec'd with an 8 twist and comes with their m+ magazine to allow longer Coal. It can also be had with their standard 22.4" barrel, a longer 24.3", or a 20" in the CTR model. You can also change the grip on the synthetic stocks to a vertical style, which I prefer. Europtic usually has good prices on them and also have sales frequently.
I agree. Can't beat the tikka t3x 3

I have everything listed, except the 6.5x47 and all in Tikkas. Definitely go for a tikka, I'd talk you into barreling a 6.5x47. You definitely don't want a 6.5 prc for your criteria

Hello all.im looking for a mostly target caliber that I can still use on everything from ground hogs to deer.i want it to be short action.so I'm looking at 6.5 cm 260rem and and 6.5 prc and 7mm-06 and maybe a caliber I've heard a good bit about and is 6.5x47.and yes I do handload my only thang with .264 caliber is some place I hunt deer shots can be 20 yards in the woods or 500 yard across a field and I'm not sure how it will do up close if I am hunting that part of my land.so in other words sell me on a .264.also I do like the 7mm-08 but not sure about long range abilities with it.and also out of the 6.5 cm and 260 rem and 6.5 prc and 6.5x47 which one really has a edge over the other.also I've looked at the 6.5x284 if I was to go to a long action
Thanks
Hey get a 264 win mag. Shoot stuff. Reload it up or down best of both worlds.

Well after alot of research and debating I've come down to either 280ai or 6.5x284.for long action and 6.5 cm in short action out of these 3 what would be the better choice.i want this to be a do all rifle.i want something with goo energy out to 600 and something I can use for hopefully ek next year and mule deer.all I've used for past 7 years is a 308 so any of these calibers will be new to me.thanks every one for the help

If you truely want a do-all to 600 it has to be the 280AI hands down. Personally I would go with the Creed and then get a .338 Ultra a couple years down the road for that true long range versatility. That 280 might seriously limit your "needs" when you get the itch for another rifle in a couple years.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.