.265 cal vs .284

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all.im looking for a mostly target caliber that I can still use on everything from ground hogs to deer.i want it to be short action.so I'm looking at 6.5 cm 260rem and and 6.5 prc and 7mm-06 and maybe a caliber I've heard a good bit about and is 6.5x47.and yes I do handload my only thang with .264 caliber is some place I hunt deer shots can be 20 yards in the woods or 500 yard across a field and I'm not sure how it will do up close if I am hunting that part of my land.so in other words sell me on a .264.also I do like the 7mm-08 but not sure about long range abilities with it.and also out of the 6.5 cm and 260 rem and 6.5 prc and 6.5x47 which one really has a edge over the other.also I've looked at the 6.5x284 if I was to go to a long action
Thanks

Last edited:
Well....my 65284s, 26nosler will take out any critter i need to at those distances....sure my 280ai will also...
But for little critters..kinda overkill.....what about a 6br or 7br for the little critters and larger for biguns.....

The 7mm-08 using handloads with heavier bullets can reach out to 650 yds with a 160gr to168gr bullet, and I recommend a 24" barrel minimum. The 2 extra inches help.

My hunting rifles wear a 24", they are Remington 700 SPS'.

My 7mm-08 for Silhouette competition is a Remington 700 Varmint 26", it's a very accurate rifle. This is my third one.

I'm a fan of the 7mm caliber, I like the versatility of bullets available, from 100gr to 195gr, though anything above 175gr you'll need a faster twist.

Hope this helps and stay safe

I have and have had the calibers you mentioned. At 20-500 yards they will all do the job and do it nicely. I'm a fan of the 6.5x47, for one thing if you handload not everyone has one and there is lots of loading information for the caliber, it's easy to get a load dialed In. The Lapua brass is a big strong point for me, it's high quality and you get many reloads out of each piece. Accurate, deadly, different. Like I said though, there isn't a wrong choice in the bunch.

Last edited:
Well....my 65284s, 26nosler will take out any critter i need to at those distances....sure my 280ai will also...
But for little critters..kinda overkill.....what about a 6br or 7br for the little critters and larger for biguns.....

I wouldn't say overkill Lol, but I will say this, both the 6.5 and 7mm will take down anything from varmints to elk like 26Reload said.

It just comes down to personal preference.

Thanks everyone for your input.i for got to say I am looking at factory rifles and would like for them to be threaded due to a can for predator hunting and a muzzle brake not for recoil but for muzzle jump and such for shooting long range.ive looked at mostly remington for these calibers and savage.ony thang about remington I've been hearing alot of bad more than any good about there newer rifles. Any other options?

With that criteria I'm going to say 6.5. Which one you choose will be entirely up to you. I'm a big 7mm fan but inside 500 yards you'll never see the difference. Dont quote me on this but I dont believe there is a factory rifle chambered in 6.5x47L. I kinda hate to say it but the 6.5 cm is basically going to be your best option I think with the abundance of factory rifles. Just about any rifle you can imagine is chambered for 6.5 cm. With this being mostly a target gun I would probably steer away from the prc. 260 is another good option if you can find a rifle chambered in it with your criteria.

Not sure I saw a budget up there, but there are a ton of options from $300 to $3000 in the 260, 6.5 Creed, or 6.5 PRC. Lapua makes brass for the Creed and 260 so that is no problem. So does Rem, Federal, Nosler, Norma, Star, Etc. so you have options in all price points. I shoot all three of the above mentioned and really like them all. The Creed and 260 are basically the same volume different shape and will perform exactly the same to 500 yards. The PRC is a different animal and a noticeable performance boost, especially with the heavier bullets. There are already some great factory rifle options, the factory ammo is however, very limited as is availability of brass right now. I am pretty impressed with how fast it will push 130s and 140s still loaded to fit a short action magazine. It's a tough choice to be sure. Whatever you pick, as long as you are happy with the rifle, I'd bet a paycheck you'll be happy with any of those cartridges.

How do you like the 6.5x284? I've looked at it also.is it capable to ek hunt with as well in the future?

Not sure I saw a budget up there, but there are a ton of options from $300 to $3000 in the 260, 6.5 Creed, or 6.5 PRC. Lapua makes brass for the Creed and 260 so that is no problem. So does Rem, Federal, Nosler, Norma, Star, Etc. so you have options in all price points. I shoot all three of the above mentioned and really like them all. The Creed and 260 are basically the same volume different shape and will perform exactly the same to 500 yards. The PRC is a different animal and a noticeable performance boost, especially with the heavier bullets. There are already some great factory rifle options, the factory ammo is however, very limited as is availability of brass right now. I am pretty impressed with how fast it will push 130s and 140s still loaded to fit a short action magazine. It's a tough choice to be sure. Whatever you pick, as long as you are happy with the rifle, I'd bet a paycheck you'll be happy with any of those cartridges.
Okay thanks for the input.and as far as budget I really dont want to drop a bunch on the rifle it self 6 or 700 would be the most unless I found a rifle I really liked.i am more than likely getting a leupold lpr for it i can find one

A very affordable LRP just came up in the classifieds here for a great price. Tikka has a couple of great options in or close to that price. The 6.5x284 Norma is a great cartridge as well, but it is a long action in the factory configuration.
Okay cool and yea the 6.5x284 is the only 6.5id probably consider in a long actions

Okay thanks for the input.and as far as budget I really dont want to drop a bunch on the rifle it self 6 or 700 would be the most unless I found a rifle I really liked.i am more than likely getting a leupold lpr for it i can find one
Tikka has several nice rifles in the $600-$800 range that are available in .260 rem , 6.5 CM and 7mm-08. I've never owned one but several of my friends do and with good handloads they shoot nearly as good as my custom rifles. For factory rifles below $800 I'd consider Tikka to be leading the way in quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.