6.5-284 Vs .284 WIN for long range??

tunofun

Gday guys, I have worn out my barrel in my .308 and since I need to replace it anyway, I was thinking (a lot!) about rebarreling to either of these cartridges and would like to know the pros and cons of both in regards to long range hunting.

The 6.5 has excellent accuracy and velocity but the biggest projectile you can get is 156gr whereas the 284 you can get 175 SMK's and reputedly very good accuracy. What I need is penetration and a decent wound channel for taking boars out to about 600yrds. Which is it to be??

Thanks in advance for the help! Cheers!

well.. to be honest .. I have tossed this around a bunch....

I like the 284 over the 6.5/284... I had a 6.5/284 and I wasn't impressed all that much...

I have accumulated some data ... and I think it is a sleeper round fer sure... just gotta get the gunsmith to agree....

I set out to prove a point with the 300WSM on a SA and was successful.. maybe I'll set out to prove a point with this too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yes, well I was leaning towards the 284 simply because of projectile selection and I believe it is the way to go for my short action 700 (I single load anyway). I will let you guys know how I go with a really fast twist barrel and some big slippery bullets. Cheers!

I presently hunt with a 6.5-06 and would have no issue pointing the 140gr SST at any unsuspecting game at 600yds. The retained velocity is very high and the sectional density ensures very good penetration.

Impact tests out to 750yds show that it still hits very hard.

I feel these provide a equalizer to some of the heavier but not so slippery 7mm bullets.

With the 284 and a short action, you might want to throat as long as you can. This will give you the most useable case capacity. You toss up bullet weight for muzzle velocity.

At the end of the day, any moderate size big game isn't going to argue with any of these slugs through the boiler room.

Jerry

The 6.5 x 284 has become a favorite with the guys I shoot with. In fact, the caliber is so inherently accurate and works so Very well out to 1213 yards that I just had my shot out 6mm Remington rebuilt into one by GA Precision. As soon as this wind storm stops, I will be breaking it in. The 142 SMK's have been loaded up, however I did order a box of 130 grain Barnes X Triple Shock for pig hunting later in May.

I presently hunt with a custom 284. Since you plan on single loading, you can do even better than I do. I have a custom magazine that allows me to set out to 2.980". Even longer would be better if you use heavy bullets. Reloads much like a WSM, pushing pressure helps accuracy and Sd.
Great round! Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I worked up a load; 50.3 grains of H4831SC, Federal 210 M primers, and utilizing the 142 grain SMK in the lands, that chorno'd @ 2902 fps. The 1st two rounds went hole in hole, and then kick left .2". So far, at 400 through 700 yards, the round works phenominally well. Because of this, I am entertaining the thought of utilizing the SMk's for the pig hunt. BTW, the receiver is a Rem 700 Long Action; the barrel is 26" long. #6 heavy varmint, 1:8 twist by Mike Rock.

W--dam that is a fast barrel -- i am getting just a touch more velocity wit h51.6 and a 29" barrel!

looks like it works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BTW--just got enough 4831SC to finish off my barrel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cheers,
JB

This is my first experience with the 6.5 x 284 and when I loaded up 47 grains of the H4350, I blew primers. I remember it clearly... "JB1000 said 49 grains of H4350, didn't he???) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif My Chorno could be off... Doubtful though, when utilizing the Exbal Software, it was absolutely on the money.

Winmagman: I obtained those same velocities with about 51 grains of the H4831SC. The barrel feels tight, but I am not complainging, not at all. I am pretty **** happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.