.260 Remington as an Elk Rifle

Elk are hunted in so many diverse locations, and ways, I don't think one size can fit all.

I have a .338 RUM, but given rifle configuration, weight, and optic, it would not be a first choice for some elk hunting situations.

The .338 RUM cartridge is capable of covering any elk hunting, but not every .338 bullet, is a good choice for every situation.

Hide and seek with Roosevelt's in the swamps, is entirely different than Rocky's in Wyoming.

In some places an elk that runs a bit after the shot is not a big deal, that same run in other places is a lost elk.

Elk are tough. I've killed them with both rifle and bow, and in both cases their tenacity gave me the utmost respect, compared to other game.

I'm sure a 260 within 300 yards is lethal. Absolutely. But personally, I already have rifles in .30 and .358 caliber, and so I will go to them every time for elk. Watching an elk absorb 3 good lung shots from a 300WM at short of 700 yards and walk off to hack blood for 5 minutes or more before falling over…I respect their toughness.

It's not a big deal when a whitetail is shot at close range, insides liquidated, and makes it 200 yards on adrenaline alone. But in elk territory, any travel distance at all can have major implications for recovery.

Yes, you can...

As expressed with the 270 and other remembrances, it it the right thing?

Actually, I never said a word or made a recommendation...Have fun with your assumptions. :cool:

Word; my assumption is based off your umpteen thousand posts and default answer of "I think you should rebarrel it to 7mm STW".
You always get a shot in when someone dumps on a .338 of some sort.
And besides, I'm just fooling around brother.:D

Word; my assumption is based off your umpteen thousand posts and default answer of "I think you should rebarrel it to 7mm STW".
You always get a shot in when someone dumps on a .338 of some sort.
And besides, I'm just fooling around brother.:D

I know, but I didn't take a shot this time or make any recommendations. I just laughed when someone else took a shot.

You have to admit, it is kind of funny how the last 5+ years on these internet forums and at your local gun stores, the default answer for anything bigger than a squirrel at 300 yards, is to buy a .300 WinMag or .338 Lapua. To a point where it almost seems like an agenda, or like everyone has to feel like a sniper, so they have to use what caliber/cartridges they use. I just have to laugh when I hear people talk about them. There is nothing wrong with them, I have a .300 WinMag, and have had a .338 WinMag. But won't own another .338, unless I inherit one from some long-lost relative I don't know about.

Just personal preference.

I know, but I didn't take a shot this time or make any recommendations. I just laughed when someone else took a shot.

You have to admit, it is kind of funny how the last 5+ years on these internet forums and at your local gun stores, the default answer for anything bigger than a squirrel at 300 yards, is to buy a .300 WinMag or .338 Lapua. To a point where it almost seems like an agenda, or like everyone has to feel like a sniper, so they have to use what caliber/cartridges they use. I just have to laugh when I hear people talk about them. There is nothing wrong with them, I have a .300 WinMag, and have had a .338 WinMag. But won't own another .338, unless I inherit one from some long-lost relative I don't know about.

Just personal preference.

I will agree.
Maybe (until recent) it's because it seems like the bullet manufacturers have only made "real" long range bullets for these calibers. Is it due to the popularity of these calibers? Or is it just easier to get these calibers a higher BC and still shoot through a standard or factory twist barrel? Some is because guys just like horsepower so to speak, or the mine is bigger than yours mentality.
I say "until recent" because in the last couple years they have focused on other calibers, such as a 7mm and the newer 180+ grainers. However to shoot such projectiles requires a faster twist, so it strays away from masses and taylors to a niche in the shooting community.
I have been a Military Sniper for many years and I have noticed a trend. I, like you, get a kick out of hearing about how the military is using something and so that's what people think they need it. When mostly I'm thinking: 1. The "military" isn't using that, maybe one or two guys in the military, or 2. We don't always use the best stuff because we don't really get to choose our issued gear. The U.S. Military is slow to catch up with the rest of the world on all but new technology.
Even the shows I see on the Military/History channel makes me shake my head because they are crap, and this stuff is being fed to the masses. It's a joke, and folks won't know any better.
As for the .260, it'll kill anything you want and especially at those ranges. But I, like many others here, wouldn't recommend it for larger tougher game. I've seen what elk can do when hit multiple times by larger projectiles. I have a lot of respect for how tough they are.
Just my opinion.
Good post Mud.

lightbulbThe OP has to sort out personal preferences/recommendations vs "real world experience(s)" shared on humanely harvesting elk ... I'll take the latter any time.lightbulb

lightbulbThe OP has to sort out personal preferences/recommendations vs "real world experience(s)" shared on humanely harvesting elk ... I'll take the latter any time.lightbulb

+1

It doesn't have to be a UberMagnumLoudenTzing, however, with elk, bigger can be better.

+1

It doesn't have to be a UberMagnumLoudenTzing, however, with elk, bigger can be better.

Agreed! My personal preference and real world experience is with the .300 Win Mag; our elk here in Montana don't readily gives us the opportunity to harvest them at 300 yards and closer during rifle reason where I hunt. :D

1_zps19b8099c.jpg

4_zpsd842c8a5.jpg

2_zps7a3fabe8.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts