Another elk rifle?

crittrgittr

We are going on a elk hunt next year and I am looking to increase my rifle collection. I already have a 300 wm in brownig a-bolt (sub min groups), a 270wsm x-bolt (.5 min groups), and a 257 wthby (.5 min groups). I am leaning towards the savage lrh in 6.5x284 or the sav predator hunter. It will mainly be used as a backup gun and for extending my long range shooting to 800yds. I know its not the perfect elk calliber, but it could be a back up. It will mainly used on paper for lr. Any and all comments on callibers and rifles would be appreciated. Oh and would like to stay under 1k on rifle.

the only one of those that is a "good" elk rifle is the 300. the 270wsm is alright, the smaller ones not that great especially at longer ranges.. sure it can be done but not reliably unless you hit it just right. all are great rifles, but if part of the intended use is elk id get a 338 or something.. maybe even a 7mm. Just make sure you use good bullets like partitions, accubonds, barnes etc...

the only one of those that is a "good" elk rifle is the 300. the 270wsm is alright, the smaller ones not that great especially at longer ranges.. sure it can be done but not reliably unless you hit it just right. all are great rifles, but if part of the intended use is elk id get a 338 or something.. maybe even a 7mm. Just make sure you use good bullets like partitions, accubonds, barnes etc...

What Tikkamike says. I love my 6.5's, but I don't think of any of them as an elk rifle. You could go with a 7mmRM in the Savage, but I don't think you would gain a lot over your WSM.

If you want to go somewhere from a 300 magnum, I would say step UP to a .338 or a .375 (if you can handle one) rather than down.

What Tikkamike says. I love my 6.5's, but I don't think of any of them as an elk rifle. You could go with a 7mmRM in the Savage, but I don't think you would gain a lot over your WSM.

If you want to go somewhere from a 300 magnum, I would say step UP to a .338 or a .375 (if you can handle one) rather than down.

I agree the 375's (ruger, h&h, ultra etc) are all in the realm of "ultimate" elk rifles

I would use your 300 win and have the .270 WSM as a back up.
If your looking to buy an "elk rifle" the ultimate is a .338 RUM/Lapua/Norma, with the .375 RUM hanging in there too.
The M700 XCR will run you under 1k and it comes in both the .338 RUM and the .375 RUM. You may break your budget after the brake goes on (you'll probably want on).
The other option is the .300 RUM, but its so close to the .300 win that since you already have an A-bolt in the Winny, I would'nt mess with the RUm.
Happy hunting!

Think you guys for your replies. Have any of you heard of the 300 bear magnum as a Calaber? I guess I need to go larger like a 338, assuming they should have a muzzle brake on them.

I do have a 30-06 in a rem 700 also. Would that be a better back up gun? How about the 6.5x284 in the rifles I mentioned above for paper shooting? Is the 6.5x284 a good target calliber? Or do you prefer others? I'm sure everybody has favorites, but is this what alot of shooters are going with?

I would use your 300 win and have the .270 WSM as a back up.
Same here. There is a well known poster on this site who regularly gets elk to 1000 yards with his 300 WM. You already own it so use it. If you have to spend money then make sure you have excellent optics and spend range time practicing.

The 270 WSM is a great backup rifle. Remember, the 270 Win has probably taken as many elk as anything else and the WSM has even more power. With a well placed shot you're good to go.

If you really, really need another elk rifle (or you need to tell your wife you do) then go with a 338. However, there is no reason that the two you already own would not do well. Buy a 223 or better yet a 243 and practice as much as you can if you want another rifle.

Oh, and the 6.5x284 would gain you nothing over the 300 WM and 270WSM.

Thanx guys. I already own a 22-250 and love shooting it Alot. I guess I'll probly use my 300 and take 270 for back up which I hope not to need. Any input on the savages or 6.5x284 for targets?

You absolutely need to have a 6.5x284, it will complete you :D:D

I've take bulls out to near 900 yards with a 270 WSM, the 300 with the heavier bullet like the 215 Berger will ruin an elks will to live rather suddenly so your well covered!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.