.260 on elk

On another note..............ask a bunch of locals who have taken and or in been in on the taking of 50 or more elk and see what they say....Just a thunk. I'm not talking once or twice in a life time elk guys, I'm talking guys who've been doing it for several decades.

On a side note, it's amazing to watch how so many people are so ignorant about how effective the various 6.5's can be on elk. Killing elk isn't rocket science, take out the lungs/heart and you've got a dead elk.

Point well taken. I'm one of the guys who rarely hunts elk so a little extra horsepower, placed correctly, couldn't hurt because it could be years before I get back to elk country again.

Well thanks for the responses, 13 years later haha! I actually just recently purchased a Sig Cross in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's mostly a target rifle, but I'd like to have a load good enough for elk if I decide to use it.

PS, I really love this rifle so far.

I have seen and "heard" of game taken with many calibers.

No magic bullet. Put it in the boiler room, game over.

It is all a matter of what you want to shoot and knowing your limit with your particular firearm. That said, know the ballistics and recognize where effectiveness becomes questionable. Again personal call.

A lot of game has been killed with pointy sticks :)
…… before compound bows!

Thanks for the responses guys. Im just trying to figure out what caliber of rifle i want to build. Im trying to decide between the .260 or 300wm. I just liked the idea of the lighter recoil with the .260, but obviously the 300wm would be superior in terms of energy. Thanks again.
Maybe it's just me, but what you described is the reason the 7mm rem mag is so popular. Less recoil than the 300 win mag, but big enough for elk. Obviously the win mag will have more stopping power, but many, MANY elk have been taken to the 7 rem mag. Plenty of other options too, but if you don't reload, my vote is the 7mm rem mag for less recoil if that's what you prefer. Better to have a 7 and not flinch than a 300 and flinch

Edit, did not notice the age of original post haha, a bit too late for that advice now