260 ai or 6.5prc

BCinKS

Gentleman, I'm wanting to build a lighter weight 6-800 yard steel/hunting rifle. I would like to shoot antelope/deer and possibly a elk. I am a seasoned reloader and own numerous calibers but I'm missing a 6.5 in my collection. I'm going to use a Proof carbon barrel and manners stock but I'm torn between a Defiance tenacity for the 260AI (they don't make a mag boldface) or a Bighorn Origin for the PRC. What's everyone's experience or suggestions?

Sounds like a 6.5-284 would be right in your wheelhouse. Lapua brass, std bolt face on a long action, 3000 fps +/- with 140s & Retumbo. JMO
I agree with this. While performance is basically the same between the 260AI, 6.5PRC, and 6.5x284, the availability(vsPRC) and convenience(vs AI) of the superb Lapua 6.5x284 brass, IMO, gives it an edge. The ease of achieving benchrest grade accuracy drives its strong popularity with reloaders.

I've also thought about the 6.5/284 and I'm not totally against it but I would kind of like a short action if possible.

In a custom 6.5 PRC is the winner hands down IMHO! I usually not a Hornady brass fan but in 6.5 PRC it's been very good! Do it in one of the custom actions that has Mag length that is longer than Rem SA! I have an MOA Evolution that is .025 MOA gun with both Berger 140 VLD and the new Classic 135 Hunters

I have shot extensively with the 6.5 x 284 and have 2 other 6.5s in my catalogue. The PRC would be my choice out of the two you listed and if you are open to an alternative, IMO the best 6.5 caliber for your needs is the 6.5 GAP because:
  • 140 grain bullets reach 3200 fps without extreme pressures
  • Efficient case to bullet weight ratio - 24 inch tubes burn 100% of the powder
  • 2000 +/- shot barrel life
  • Faster and more efficient than the PRC - Hornady wanted the GAP and asked GAP to help them build "something close"
  • GAP wouldn't let the PRC outperform the 6.5 GAP
Tag

I've also been thinking about the 6.5saum. I wish Defiance would hurry up and offer the Tenacity in a mag bolt face!

What are the case capacities of each cartridge?

The 6.5 SAUM is based on the parent cartridge 404 Jefferey and will hold about 70.3 grains of water. I am currently running 63.1 grains H1000 pushing a 140 grain berger at 3220 fps

The 6.5x284 holds about 68.3 grains of water

The 260 ai holds about 56 grains of water.

The PRC holds about 65.8 grains water

Last edited:
Good 6.5 Comparison
6.5 GAP not listed

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 12.43.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 12.43.34 PM.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 3,430
Not a good comparison for the 6.5x284. It shows data for the short chambered 284 Winchester spec, not the 6.5x284 Norma spec which generates velocity which is identical to the 6.5PRC. Most of the gun magazine writers are clueless about this.
Clueless?! They have to work their way up to clueless! Especially within this current state of the the industry!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.