260 AI or 6.5 PRC?

So, it's pretty clear that the AI is the more cost effective way to go and a re chamber to PRC has very marginal benefits for much more $.

I Have the 260 brass and the gun loves 140/142's (not sure of the twist since I traded for the re-barreled action) It has a Shillen barrel. I could try the cleaning rod twist method of measuring twist, but not sure I could tell a 1/2" difference.

I'll just believe it's an 8. That makes me happy.

Can I use my 260 neck sizing die on an AI or would I need a new die? Does the neck die bump the shoulder at all?

I'm pretty good on most powders in this burn rate/cartridge favorite powders, but I do have 5 lbs of H4831sc that the 260 loves.

Is that one of the AI's favorite powders? I know each gun will let you know, just curious of other's results.

So, it's pretty clear that the AI is the more cost effective way to go and a re chamber to PRC has very marginal benefits for much more $.

I Have the 260 brass and the gun loves 140/142's (not sure of the twist since I traded for the re-barreled action) It has a Shillen barrel. I could try the cleaning rod twist method of measuring twist, but not sure I could tell a 1/2" difference.

Can I use my 260 neck sizing die on an AI or would I need a new die? Does the neck die bump the shoulder at all?

I'm pretty good on most powders in this burn rate/cartridge favorite powders, but I do have 5 lbs of H4831sc that the 260 loves.

Is that one of the AI's favorite powders? I know each gun will let you know, just curious of other's results.
The dies are different so though I didn't try standard 260 Rem dies, I doubt they'll work. I bought just the regular Redding 260 AI dies on sale and then upgrade the seater with a micrometer vld dial kit. If you think you might be interested in other 308 Win based Ackley cartridges then I'd probably get a competition bushing dies set.

My 6.5 PRC with 20" barrel produces the same velocity with 130 gr. bullets as my 6.5-06 AI with a 26" barrel. I find it difficult to believe that any 260 or 260 AI can run with either the 6.5-06 or 6.5 PRC. It is my opinion the 6.5 PRC produces way more than 'marginal improvement' over the 260 AI. Now cost effective?? Now that is another matter.

I don't know exactly what the fps is you're looking to get with a 260ai but I know the 6.5-284 and prc are sort of similar. Having said that the 6.5-284 doesn't run neck and neck with a prc. The prc is faster period. Yeah you'll get the one off guy who claims the 260 and creed run with it, but they don't.

If you are rebarreling it's likely the prc is going to be a slight advantage. However, changing bolts or opening up the face is more work and money. Even though I have a couple prc's I'd say the 260ai for the work etc is probably "your" logical choice.

I have a R700 5R Gen 2 that I rebarreled to 260AI. With a 24" 7.5 twist Brux barrel and RL26 I get 2955fps and tiny groups shooting 147 ELDMs. Recoil is nearly non existent but it is a fairly heavy rifle.

My only advice is to know what freebore the reamer that gets used has. Most of them are set up for a short freebore and encroach on powder space and sits the bullet well below the neck shoulder junction.

So, I'm putting pencil to paper and still not liking my 260 (AI?) to hunt with. It's currently too heavy and too long so, that has to change.

I can rebarrel/or flute the barrel, chop 22" thread and rechamber. Buy a different stock and still have a gun that's sub 3k with 140's. Maybe get it to 7lbs? For how much $$$???

Or, I'll just buy a 26 Nosler with a 22" barrel to hunt with. 6.5 lbs and fast. Keep my 260 the same for ringing gongs.

Yes, more expensive, but I'd also have another gun. And that's always a good thing.

So, I'm putting pencil to paper and still not liking my 260 (AI?) to hunt with. It's currently too heavy and too long so, that has to change.

I can rebarrel/or flute the barrel, chop 22" thread and rechamber. Buy a different stock and still have a gun that's sub 3k with 140's. Maybe get it to 7lbs? For how much $$$???

Or, I'll just buy a 26 Nosler with a 22" barrel to hunt with. 6.5 lbs and fast. Keep my 260 the same for ringing gongs.

Yes, more expensive, but I'd also have another gun. And that's always a good thing.
Many paths to the top of the mountain. Pick one which works best for you. Besides who can argue with getting another rifle lol.

Depends on the die you have. If you have a Lee collet neck die it should definitely work on the Ackley unless something is outta whack. If you have a traditional die you'll just have to see how much of the neck you can size before the die starts setting the shoulder back. You may be able to size 2/3 of the neck or more before the die makes contact with the shoulder which is enough to load and go.

As far as twist if it's good and accurate with the bullet I want I'd be perfectly happy. When needing a new barrel I would try to stay with only as much twist as needed for the intended class of bullets. Slower twists have an accuracy potential advantage. Think of your bullet like the tire on a car, if it's out of round/unbalanced the faster you spin it the more it wobbles.

Depends on the die you have. If you have a Lee collet neck die it should definitely work on the Ackley unless something is outta whack. If you have a traditional die you'll just have to see how much of the neck you can size before the die starts setting the shoulder back. You may be able to size 2/3 of the neck or more before the die makes contact with the shoulder which is enough to load and go.

As far as twist if it's good and accurate with the bullet I want I'd be perfectly happy. When needing a new barrel I would try to stay with only as much twist as needed for the intended class of bullets. Slower twists have an accuracy potential advantage. Think of your bullet like the tire on a car, if it's out of round/unbalanced the faster you spin it the more it wobbles.
I agree with this. I have a standard 260 collet die and it works but you still have to be careful setting up the die because of the different shoulder angle.

Since I shoot many non-SAAMI cartridges I just purchased a long and a short "universal" neck sizing die from CH4D. That way I can size the necks on any cartridge without worrying about the shoulder unless I need to bump it back.

I'm surprised Lance hasn't responded to this question and I would follow his suggestion since he has a ton of experience with 6.5 cartridges.
IMO, the 260ai is the easy button. A quick rechamber of the barrel and get some dies.
IF you are going to go with a bigger bolt face, I would also look at the 6.5 PRC SI that Lance recently did load development for or a 6.5 SS. I believe the 6.5 SS still had more velocity that the PRC SI. I would have gone with the 6.5 SS if I didn't have so much invested in the PRC when I re-barreled mine.
I don't think you can go wrong with any 6.5 rounds. They are all fun.

One of the reasons why I say a 260 rem neck die won't work is the body of the 260 AI is blown out and has less taper. So I imagine the body near the shoulder of the 260 AI is going to contact any 260 rem neck die before any substantial sizing is done. I could be wrong but that's my reasoning.

Bolt thrust force would be a function of area of cartridge base & pressure, like, .18 square inches for .260 AI compared to .22 square inches for 6.5 PRC. Assuming equal pressures were applied to the base of the cartridge more force or bolt thrust would happen with the 6.5PRC - more square inches. This might cause "clickers" that are a 6.5 PRC annoyance.

I use the cheap Lee collet dies - intended for neck sizing - as expander dies for my brass that has turned necks and sized with F/L dies that have had the expander/decap removed. The cheap Lee collet dies work just fine with AI brass - like 6mm Rem Lee collet die used to neck size 6mm AI - provided no contact with brass at body/shoulder - zippo run out. Using the cheap Lee collet die intended for a .260 Rem on some fat 6.5 magnum cartridge having the same length might be a problem.

No Remington bolt replacement with .260 AI.

For about a 7% gain in velocity the 6.5PRC would be a no go for me. Add the crazy high 6.5 PRC brass prices and availability problems.

A .260 AI size die would be one time buy. I would try for a F/L bushing die having a .288 +- .001 bushing depending on chamber. Universal 6.5-seater die would work.

If Hornady & others want to make the 6.5 PRC a big deal they need to produce more brass to increase availability & lower price. 200 rounds of 6.5 PRC brass would be pricy.