260 ai or 6.5prc

Good 6.5 Comparison
6.5 GAP not listed
Those velocities are spot on in my experience. I have the 260AI which isn't listed and it is a step up from the plain vanilla 260. I typically shoot 140 SGKs in my 260AI as it is a lightweight mountain rifle and 500 yards shots with the scope on it is about the max and I have yet to find a better performing[6.5] bullet than the 140 SGK on game.

While the 6.5 uses the 300RCM parent case, and utilizes a magnum bolt face, it's not really been considered, or identified as a magnum....No more then the 6.5x284N is considered a magnum with its near identical case capacity and performance. Usable case capacities of both(along with a few other wildcats)fall in this 30-06 capacity region, but using short/fat dimensions. I think the likes of the 264WM, 260 Nosler, the Sherman's, etc. cross the divide into what one would think of when seriously considering 6.5 magnum territory, IMO.
I disagree. To me the 264wm, 260 nosler would be more closely related to an ultramag in the 6.5 world just because there really isn't an ultramag. The 6.5 creed and 260 are the 308/3006 of the 6.5 world so if the 6.5prc and the 6.5x284 are a good 200fps or more, one would assume these would be the "magnums" of the 6.5 world. Just my two cents.

I disagree. To me the 264wm, 260 nosler would be more closely related to an ultramag in the 6.5 world just because there really isn't an ultramag. The 6.5 creed and 260 are the 308/3006 of the 6.5 world so if the 6.5prc and the 6.5x284 are a good 200fps or more, one would assume these would be the "magnums" of the 6.5 world. Just my two cents.
I wouldn't choose to die on this hill........but....I would have thought both Norma and Hornady would have jumped on the "magnum" nomenclature if they thought they could get away with it.

I wouldn't choose to die on this hill........but....I would have thought both Norma and Hornady would have jumped on the "magnum" nomenclature if they thought they could get away with it.
I think many new hunters are actually a little hesitant to buy magnums and that's why the creed took off. I think Hornady has a ton of marketing experience and know what they are doing. To call the 6.5prc the big brother to the 6.5cm is perfect marketing in my opinion. Also, the 6.5prc is built upon the 300 rugar compact magnum case, which does have "magnum" in it's title so I think they could have gotten away with it if they wanted to.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.